Today, there are a fairly large number of various electric industrial hair dryers and portable gas burners, but still very popular blowtorches. This is due to the fact that this design is simple and convenient. Using this tool is the most economical way to heat something. Kindle such a lamp can anyone, who has at least minimal skills to work with the tool.
The blowtorch burns liquid fuel in the nozzle, producing a fairly large jet of open flame.
Fuel for energy has been successfully used for a long time. Especially convenient in this case is the liquid fuel from hydrocarbon. In the process of combustion of the hydrocarbon will be formed exclusively carbon dioxide and water. However, this requires that for 1 kg of burning fuel accounted for a specific amount of air.
Advantages of a blowtorch
The housemaster will not bother with a tank of oxygen or a compressor with air. You should know that the blowtorch captures the amount of air that is needed. This device is a heating device in which the heat generated from the combustion of fuel is also used to evaporate the fuel supplied to the burner. In this design, it will burn not liquid fuel, but its vapors, which enter the combustion zone very quickly. A jet of fuel vapor will trap air that is located around the burner, as a result of which the required amount of oxygen will flow into the combustion zone.
This process will be adjusted automatically, which is a big advantage of this tool. The more fuel vapor will be fed into the device, the higher the flow rate and the more air can be captured. Most often, the burners are constructed so that the excess air they could not miss.
The lamp consists of the following elements:
- burner nozzle;
- knob to adjust the flame;
- tray for heating;
- hand pump;
- fuel tank;
- safety valve.
The lamp for soldering is recommended to be used in such cases:
In the process of working the lamp, the size of the torch can be adjusted by the amount of fuel supplied.
For heating elements and melting solder, heating soldering tools in the process of soldering.
- To weld elements with a melting point of less than 1000 ° C.
- For melting metal blanks with a melting point of approximately 850-900 ° C.
- To burn the old finish coating on metal objects.
- To heat the frozen liquid in the sewer pipes and plumbing.
- To warm up the internal combustion engine to run at sub-zero temperatures.
- For disassembling old rusted connections.
Using a blowtorch is easy, you only need to know the technology.
Elements that will be necessary in order to perform work with the lamp for soldering:
- soldering device;
- suitable fuel;
- small bath;
- special needle for cleaning the nozzle;
- ventilated room.
What you need to fill in the lamp for soldering?
You can pour ordinary kerosene into a blowtorch.
From a theoretical point of view, any combustible substance that can at least somehow evaporate can be poured into such a design: gasoline, kerosene, alcohol, oil, etc. However, low-quality fuel with a large number of poorly volatile elements (for example, oil that contains a large amount of fuel oil) will quickly clog the nozzle, after which the entire evaporation element. Therefore, it is allowed to use only high-quality refined fuel - alcohol, gasoline and kerosene.
Fuel should be selected based on the type of lamp. It is not recommended to pour non-compliant fuel into the soldering lamp, since the volume of the evaporating element is calculated based on the evaporative ability of the fuel. If kerosene is poured into the gasoline device, it will not be able to evaporate in the required amount, as a result of which the burning liquid will fly out of the lamp in different directions. More serious consequences may occur in the case of pouring gasoline into a kerosene lamp for soldering. The pressure of saturated gasoline vapor is 6 times greater when compared with kerosene. In the process of ignition, the volume of gasoline that is in the evaporating element will turn into steam, and therefore the blowtorch will explode.
Therefore, in the kerosene device is allowed to fill only pure kerosene, while not allowed to mix it with any other fuel.
Fuel "Galosh" will be an excellent liquid for a blowtorch.
The best grade of gasoline for the tool is a clean fuel type "Galosh". It can be purchased at a hardware store. However, in the case of a large amount of work, the cost of purchasing such fuel will be impressive. Therefore, in most cases, ordinary gasoline for cars is used in the lamp. The octane number of the fuel, which determines the resistance to detonation, does not matter. It is only important to pay attention to the purity of fuel and the absence of additives. Preference should be given to low-octane gasoline. It contains fewer additives, and therefore it will practically not pollute the nozzle.
Alcohol soldering lamps in most cases have a small volume of the tank, because they can be used with a small amount of work. Today it is quite difficult to find an alcohol lamp. It is much easier to purchase a small gas burner.Back to table of contents
How to light a soldering lamp?
All work using this tool is recommended in the open air.
In rare cases, it is allowed to perform short-term work in ventilated buildings.
To heat up the lamp for soldering, you will need to perform the following steps:
- The lamp for soldering must be filled with clean gasoline in the amount of of the total volume of the instrument. The remaining 1/4 of the volume must be filled with air. Thus it will be possible to create the desired pressure in the vessel. This part will be used as a compensator in the process of heating the lamp.
- A small overpressure will be required in the tool tank (approximately 8–9 strokes of the pump will be needed).
- In the burner bath it is necessary to pour clean liquid fuel that burns without soot. In this case, ethyl alcohol is best, but you can also use gasoline, which was poured into the container. After that, the fuel in the bath will need to be set on fire for the initial heating of the evaporating element. During the warm-up process, the tool must be located in a place that is protected from the wind.
- After the fuel goes out in the bath, the locking needle will need to be slightly opened. If there is a jet of fuel vapor, it is necessary to set fire to the torch. If a fluid jet appears, the warm-up will need to be repeated. You need to try to open the needle during the extinction of the fuel in the bath. In this case, re-ignite the fuel is not required.
- In the process of heating the evaporating element, the supply of fuel to the burner can be increased. In order to warm up the tool quickly, it can be installed with a nozzle to a large non-combustible object with a 3 cm gap. In this case, a steel plate will do.
- In the process, the size of the torch is governed by the amount of fuel that enters the burner. You will need to use a locking needle. If a malfunction occurs, the torch will be uneven or the flame will go out, you will need to check the cleanliness of the nozzle. If necessary, it can be cleaned with a special needle.
- You can extinguish the soldering lamp by closing the needle. It will be possible to release the pressure and open the container only after the lamp has cooled completely.
Precautions when handling a soldering lamp
This device is flammable. In the container of the tool for soldering there is a liquid under pressure, and the capacity itself is located next to the burning torch.
In the process of performing work using a blowtorch it is not allowed:
- Use the tool in case of leakage of fuel or its vapors.
- Use fuel that does not match the type of fixture.
- Work with the tool for a long time. This may result in the fuel tank being heated above 50 ° C.
- Work in case of a fault in the safety valve or pressure gauge with which the pressure is measured.
- Refill and drain the fuel, relieve pressure, open the container in the process of an existing or unheated lamp. Opening a container on a hot fixture is one of the most common causes of an explosion of soldering lamps.
- Work in a building where adequate ventilation cannot be provided.
Compliance with safety rules in the process of working with a lamp for soldering is a guarantee of safe operation of the device.