Today, for the organization of interior lighting used various models of lighting devices. When making a choice, it is necessary to be guided by the quality, availability of installation, energy saving and acceptable cost of the entire lighting system. That is why more and more often the so-called diode tape is used to organize interior lighting systems. It is best suited for these requirements, while providing the broadest possibilities for design.
Figure 1. Connection diagram of the LED strip.
LED tape - this is not the usual lamp that just connects to the wires. It is made in the form of narrow strips, small LEDs are fixed on it. Between themselves, they are connected by thin wires, i.e. soldering is required. There is nothing difficult in this, it is enough to follow certain requirements and steps:
- selection of LED strip;
- soldering work;
- selection of power supply;
- connect the entire lighting system.
Types of LED installations
The main causes of LED tape soldering.
For the installation of the LED system will require special equipment. We need controllers, power supplies, soldering wires - all of this is acquired after selecting a diode tape.
Today, manufacturers offer such options for the type of performance:
- RGB color diodes;
- 3528 diodes;
- diodes 5050.
Diodes are classified and in the direction of the glow:
- end glow models;
- frontal glow.
Properly prepared wires for soldering LED strip.
By type of color are distinguished:
- monochrome LEDs giving only one color, for example, red, blue, white;
- RGB-LEDs (multi-colored).
According to the degree of security:
- Open leaks are the easiest option when diode protection is not applied.
- Options with one-sided protection from LEDs.
- Model with two-sided protection, which is provided by the diodes and the base.
Tape mounting rules: soldering
On the wire, you must wear a tip with a cross section of 0.75 mm.
Soldering the diode tape is not so difficult, it is enough to follow these simple steps:
- You must first measure the length, inspect the place where the lighting will be mounted.
- On the tape itself there are places for cutting, they are marked at the production stage. Their pitch depends on the density of the diodes, usually it is 5 or 10 cm.
- The strip is cut with scissors, but it must be ensured that the diodes are not damaged. After that, the mounting surface is degreased and dried.
- The protective tape is removed from the back side, the LEDs are glued to the surface. If bending is required, its maximum radius may be 2 cm.
- Soldering of individual sections and equipment (controllers, dimmers and power supplies) is carried out. In this case, it is necessary to ensure that the surface of the tape does not overheat, since they do not like overheating semiconductor diodes, they will fail.
- A low-power soldering iron for 25-40 W is used for work, wires with a cross section of 0.75 mm, their length should be about 20 cm. Red and black wires are used for a single-color ribbon, the first is connected to the positive, the second to the minus.
For soldering LED strip are used: solder, rosin and soldering iron 25 watts.
During soldering, the ends of all wires must be stripped 2 mm from the side of the tape, and on the other hand, 1 cm. The LED tape is connected after processing the wires with rosin and tin, then soldering is performed.
To work you need to purchase:
- low power soldering iron;
- thin sting for a soldering iron;
- solder (tin);
During warming up, it is necessary to watch that the sting warms up only to 260-320 ° C, the high temperature will spoil the diodes. The time for tinning the working section of wires is 3-5 seconds, while it is necessary to pause for the point to cool down. Solder should be thin, while rosin remains inside. The sting is required to protect, then the adjacent sites will not overlap with tin. For cleaning, you can use a wet sponge or a special pad for the sting.
After the wires are prepared, it is necessary to carry out a similar procedure for the contact pads on the tape. After that, the wires and the contacts are neatly connected, you can perform a test switch. When the work is finished, you need to carefully isolate the place of soldering. To do this, suitable electrical tape, sealant or shrink tube. You can check the performance again.Back to table of contents
Power supply selection
Types of LED strips.
In order to properly connect the diode tape, you must use a special power supply unit (PSU), as the tape uses 12 or 24 V voltage, and 220 V is supplied to the network. This pulse power supply is selected according to the following parameters:
- voltage for diode tape;
- power consumed by the lighting system;
- protection from moisture.
It is necessary to pay attention to what kind of voltage the diode tape itself has; it is indicated by the manufacturer. Power is calculated by the formula: power consumption = tape power × tape length.
Moisture protection is determined by exactly where it is planned to use the LED strip. For example, special systems should be used for the kitchen and bathroom.Back to table of contents
Diode tape connection
To connect must be prepared:
- LED strip itself of the selected type;
- a power supply that converts an alternating voltage of 220 V to DC at 12 or 24 V;
- dimmer to adjust the brightness;
Connection diagram of two LED strips in one power supply.
All work can be done independently. The soldering process has already been reviewed, now we need to decide how the connection will be. You can use different options, but the serial connection is not the best, since there will be a voltage drop along the entire length, and this will shorten the life of the diodes. Therefore, experts recommend connecting the LED strip in parallel, especially if the length will be more than 5.
With this connection, the number of power supplies can be more than two, they are quite compact, do not take up much space.
If a dimmer is used for work, i.e. brightness control, then you need to put it to the power supply.
The connection scheme itself is as follows:
- The controller is connected to a low-voltage power supply unit (plus to plus, minus to minus).
- A tape is connected to the controller on the other side. There are 4 wires, of which 3 control colors, and the last one is power supply (blue - “B”, red - “R”, green - “G”).
- The controller is supplied with voltage from the power supply unit; special buttons are provided for adjusting the parameters of the tape on it. The wiring diagram is shown in fig. one.
Soldering LED strip to connect interior lighting is easy. It is important to carefully handle the diodes themselves, choose the appropriate power supply unit (PSU), controller. Then, following simple rules, you can do the connection yourself. It will take a minimum of time, but the result will be amazing.