Everyone who is engaged in turning business, meets such problem as the soldering of cutters at home. This is quite a necessary procedure that solders carbide inserts on the holders of turning tools, helps to harden the tool. The high-frequency current or a gas torch participates in this business. But for the latest equipment it is still necessary to have a good experience.
The elements of the lathe tool.
How to solve a problem without specialized equipment?
Previously used method of heating the incisors using the contact machine. He was well used at home. Soldering occurred through the thermal effects of electric current on the conductor. To control the heat generated, it is necessary to simply adjust the amount of current, the resistance of the conductor and look at the time, how much it will affect the conductor.
Focusing on these three factors, the unit was developed, which is a step-down transformer. It has primary and secondary windings. The first one is calculated for 220 V, and the second one - for 2 V. The diameter of the transverse magnetic wire is 50 sq. Cm. The transformer itself is mounted on the base, while the contact bus is located on the insulator pad.
The design of the welding inverter.
The base of the transformer, which has legs, is made of sheet steel 5 cm thick. Also in this design there are two windows that perform the role of ventilation.
For the ends of the secondary winding has its hole holes. The whole design of the device is protected by a special casing, which with the help of corners is attached to the base of the transformer. One of these mounts has an insulating block.Back to table of contents
Differences and features of types of soldering
Cutters can be connected by low- or high-temperature soldering. But judging objectively, their physical nature has no particular differences. Two metals are interconnected by a third, which is called solder. The connecting metal has a melting point lower than the elements being joined. But depending on what kind of soldering to choose, the characteristics of the resulting product will also depend.
As is clear from the names, one of the differences is the melting point. But that is not all.
Welding class table.
- First of all, the use of hard solders guarantees a better and more reliable connection of parts, in contrast to soft ones.
- High-temperature brazing also has a stronger heat resistance of the joints. The solder used for such work is characterized by a high melting point; therefore, it can withstand temperature loads higher, without losing its properties. But here there is also a nuance, in such soldering, which is inferior to low-temperature. In the first case, under the influence of high rates, structural changes may occur in some metals. For example, a cast iron compound becomes quite fragile.
- Using high-temperature soldering, it is necessary to select the appropriate tools. For such a procedure it is necessary to reach a temperature of 1000 degrees. That is, a soldering iron is no longer suitable for such a process.
If you combine all of the above, it turns out that high-temperature soldering provides strength and heat resistance of the joint, but it requires more highly-qualified equipment and the ability to produce a rather complex welding technology. While low-temperature brazing has more simplified requirements, but the quality of the parts produced is somewhat lower.Back to table of contents
The use of solid solders is intermediate between low-temperature soldering and already welding.
The brazing scheme.
They are used in cases where the strength of the compounds obtained and the integrity of the metal structure become important. In this process, carbide plates are often used, which, when combined, do not spoil the original geometry of the structure.
This technology is used to repair refrigeration or heat exchange systems, steel or copper pipelines, etc. It is used in automotive repair to repair radiators, engine, transmissions, body and other similar parts.
If there is a need to repair products that during operation can be exposed to high temperatures (for example, a samovar on wood), then high-temperature soldering is simply necessary.
As for the equipment, in this case, a technique is required that is capable of giving a temperature higher than that necessary for melting the parts to be joined. The average range can vary from 450 to 1200 degrees, provided that the whole procedure will be performed at home. Such indicators have gas burners, inductors and furnaces.Back to table of contents
Types of solders used
In order to solder the cutter, you can use copper, although you can use it with other metals (zinc, silver, silicon, tin, etc.) as an alternative. Each of these components reduces the melting point.
But it should be noted that such solders are not recommended to be used if work is to be done with steel or cast iron, since in this case phosphites are formed, which affect the strength of the joint. Such a seam will be very brittle, and, when vibrating or bending pressure is exerted, the joint may deform or simply burst.Back to table of contents
How to solder the cutters yourself?
In order to perform the soldering, you must adhere to the following steps:
- First of all, it is necessary to clean all metallic elements. Removed oxide film.
- Tool holder set on the tires of the transformer. The zone to be soldered must be pre-treated with flux. After that, the solder starts working.
- Using tweezers, solder is inserted between the edges that require bonding. In the specific case it is better to use a brass sheet for this purpose.
- During operation of the unit, the contact area will heat up. This contributes to the melting of the metal, and as soon as this process is completed, the contact will disintegrate, and, accordingly, the process will stop. Therefore, so that the soldering is continuous, all work is carried out in a pulsed mode, and the load on the windings should be applied gradually.
The heating itself is carried out over the entire surface, smoothly moving from side to side. Solder should acquire a color from dark cherry to light cherry, which will indicate warming up to the required temperature.
Visually controlling the entire process, it is necessary to carefully apply the entire solder. You should know that the holder is heated at a speed of 80-100 degrees per second. Using this method to connect the incisors, you can be confident in obtaining excellent quality.
If the flux was applied in sufficient quantity, then the solder will easily spread. After completion of the work, the seams are cleaned.
It is believed that high-quality compound - that does not exceed 0.1 mm. As is clear, there is nothing difficult in home rations. The main thing is to have on hand all the necessary tools and materials. But it must be remembered that during the whole process the rules of personal safety should be observed, since high temperatures can harm the soldering iron.