For those who are used to doing all handy tools with their own hands, you need to know how to make a hydraulic pipe bender with your own hands. As the name implies, it can be used to independently manufacture metal structures that imply curved tube or strip elements. For owners of private houses, such a tool can become extremely necessary, especially with regard to the repair moments and the design of the suburban area.
Scheme manual pipe bender.
Where the pipe bender is mainly used
A pipe is such an element that it is extremely difficult to do without today, not only at construction sites, but even in ordinary household items. From it you can create:
- garden furniture;
- water supply network;
- canopies and stuff.
Such a device can be found in people who are engaged in architectural design. Also it is necessary in laying not only water, but also gas and heating systems.
In order to create such structures, at hand should be a pipe bent along the radius. It is the pipe bender that allows you to create a bent profile up to an angle of 180 °. Such a tool is able to work with almost any material: aluminum, metal-plastic, stainless steel. To create a bend, sizes and shapes are specified.
Device pipe bender.
Depending on the drive, the bender can be:
- Manual - this device is designed for pipes with a small diameter. The most elementary version of the tool. They are easy enough to use at home, but for more global purposes it will not work. It does not withstand large amounts of work and is only suitable for those pipes that are made of soft metals. The exact bend angle on such a tool is extremely difficult to achieve.
- Hydraulically - they work with pipes with cross-sections up to 8 cm. Working with such a tool, the whole process is significantly accelerated. This type is used on construction sites, as it is already professional and can perform bending of heavy metal pipes. It has quite portable sizes.
- Mechanical - the convenience of such a tool is that even when working with thin-walled pipes, they do not deform and do not lose their integrity.
- Electric - the most expensive class tool. All the work is done by automatics according to the forms and sizes laid down in advance. Such a tool can be found only in professional construction sites, since its cost is high enough and it is not advisable to purchase it for household needs.
According to the bending method, the benders can be:
- Crossbow. In this case, the work item is presented in the form of a certain diameter.
- Spring. Used when working with plastic pipes, and the whole process is carried out manually by the spring.
- Segmental. The pipe is bent around the segment.
- Dornovye. Designed to work with thin-walled pipes of small diameter. The main working element is a steel, plastic or brass mandrel.
Before starting work, it is necessary to familiarize with standard parameters which are intended for these or those pipes. Otherwise, the resulting product will not have the proper quality.Back to table of contents
How does a hydraulic pipe bender work?
Standard tool consists of:
- hydraulic cylinders with two straps, located at the top and bottom;
- two pipe supports;
- devices for feeding the oil mixture into the cylinder, located in the rear;
- screw and handle the relief valve.
The main working tool is the cylinder.
Manual hydraulic pipe benders.
In its upper part there is a hole for pouring oil, which is equipped with a stopper. The bottom plate is fixed to the thread of the front of the case with a nut, and the top - with two bolts and a lock.
The cylinder has a retractable rod, which bends the pipe. To return the rod to its original position, there is a return spring in the hydraulic cylinder.
The upper and lower bars are welded. Also, the main load parts are created by casting from high-strength steel. Such a tool is a rather complicated structure. But this does not mean that you can not create a similar pipe bender with your own hands. Just the design can be slightly modified.Back to table of contents
Independent creation of a pipe bender
Material and tool:
- two rollers with a diameter approximated by a pipe section;
- welding machine;
- metal rods;
Device for bending corners.
The assembly itself looks like this:
- Metal rods are welded into a tripod in the shape of an inverted "T".
- At the bottom of the winch you need to fix one of the rollers and the end of the winch. Further, they are united by a chain.
- The second roller is mounted on the vertical part, a level higher than the first.
To bend the pipe, it is necessary to lay one end of it between the rollers and the other on the winch. It is necessary to work together on such a self-made machine tool so that one pulls the pipe (thus, the winch will come into action), and the second person pushes the pipe.Back to table of contents
In case of need of a device with increased productivity, it is possible to make a pipe bender with your own hands with an electric drive.
The scheme with the size of a homemade pipe bender.
- The feed shaft is fixed on a flat base. Further, a wheel designed for a belt drive is fitted on its end. At the other end strengthen the drive chain sprocket.
- At a short distance, the second shaft is installed similarly. Only in this case is the driven sprocket mounted. As for the shafts, there is a small moment. If the shaft axles are mounted in steel plates that have a trapezoidal shape and are welded on the sides of the base, then cable rollers can be used instead of shafts.
- At will the deforming roller can be installed both above, and below. But it is recommended that the third roller is located at the bottom. But in this case it is necessary to cut a hole for the stem in the base, so that it can safely move.
The shaft of the roller itself, which deforms, lies in the grooves of the plates or a U-like fork, the legs of which are welded from the sides of the base. The roller has a restriction in movement through the grooves, since, on the one hand, it is impeded by a rod, and on the other, by the pipe itself. A very important point is that the whole pipe rolling process should be carried out smoothly. And this applies to both manual and automated machine.
If this tool is used for the first time, it is better to carry out the process under the supervision of a more experienced person. It is also recommended to have a pipe sample at hand, so that there is an opportunity to orient on it.
Thus, using a homemade pipe bender, you can create at home any rolling profile with a round diameter. Such a tool is even used in car repair shops, for example, for silencers. The selection of a pipe bender is influenced by several factors: the volume of work, the material of the pipe, the thickness of the working material, the diameter of the pipe, what angle and bend radius is needed. All these points should be considered to create a truly high-quality tool.
There are options when you can make a tool for square pipes, but here you will need several other materials.