One of the ways to decorate plastered walls with the desired pattern or to give them the desired texture is decorative plaster. This version of the surface design of the walls is relatively cheap and very effective. For this type of treatment of plastered surfaces, a structural roller is used, which every home craftsman can do if he follows a certain sequence of work and correctly uses the tools and suitable materials available in the house. If there is no possibility of self-production of such a roller for plaster, then you can buy it in a specialty store or in the construction market.
The scheme of the device rollers.
There you can pick up a tool with the desired pattern on the surface. For self-production, you need to select the appropriate type of roller:
- If you want to create on the surface of the plaster "fur" effect, then you need to apply a textured roller with a nap. The smoothness of the resulting image is directly dependent on the length of the pile itself - the shorter it is, the more smoothed the elements of the image. The thickness of the villi also matters. For processing plaster on concrete or brick walls, a roller with a thick pile is better suited.
- If you need to get on the wall alternation of small protrusions and grooves, then you need a kind of rollers with holes of different diameters located across the entire surface of the working cylinder, which is usually made of plastic. The dimensions of elements of such a relief are directly dependent on the caliber of the holes on the roller.
- In order to obtain a longitudinal texture on the wall, convex waves must be made on the working cylinder of the instrument. Since such a relief depends on their length and height, many varieties of such rollers are produced, which makes it possible to obtain a lot of different patterns.
- To create a relief resembling a natural stone, it is necessary to use a roller with loops protruding in the shape of ears.
Ways of self-manufacturing tool
There are several options for creating a textured roller with your own hands.
Consider some of them.
To perform this work, you need an elongated cylindrical object, which can be obtained as follows:
Tools for applying plaster.
- Use a wooden dough wheel for the body of the roller, in which you need to drill a longitudinal hole and insert into it a handle curved from a thick steel wire (you can take a ready-made handle from the paint roller).
- Apply for this purpose a plastic pipe of the desired diameter (5-10 cm) and length. Then, covers with holes are cut out from plastic (their diameter is equal to the gauge of the handle wire) in order to close the side holes in the pipe, fix them with glue and insert the finished wire handle.
- A roller is turned on a lathe made of wood, plastic or metal and fastened to a steel wire handle.
The basis of the tool is ready. Now we need to make a working body. To do this, the following methods are suitable for obtaining the desired relief:
The scheme of painting the wall with a roller.
- The base (roller) is wound with a thin cord or ordinary linen rope with overlap. This can be done in any order, then when processing plaster on the surface of the wall, you can get a unique, unique relief.
- If you need a pattern on which there will not be a single repeating element, then proceed as follows: an ordinary mesh for vegetables or a plastic bag is wound on the main cylindrical body of a homemade roller and fixed with adhesive tape. The resulting irregularities, wrinkles and folds do not need to be eliminated - they will create a unique pattern on the wall. Instead of cellophane, you can use any thin fabric.
- You can use foam rubber, fixing it on the roller with scotch tape. On the material itself, it is easy to cut the desired pattern with a knife. This is quite a laborious task, but the relief on the wall will look great. If instead of foam rubber it is possible to use rubber, then the quality of the patterns obtained will noticeably increase, although the complexity of cutting the pattern on the rubber surface is even higher.
How is decorative plastering done?
To properly use a homemade roller, it is necessary to observe the following sequence when applying plaster on the walls:
- The surface to be treated is thoroughly cleaned from the old material and coated with a primer.
- If the plaster should consist of two alternating surfaces, for example, a smooth layer of one texture and a second part with protruding elements of a more saturated texture, then the first layer is first made. The walls in this case are covered with plaster to obtain a smooth, smooth surface and painted in the desired color.
- Next, apply the second layer, which has a decorative function. If you want to get a clear distinction between the layers, then apply masking tape. It is necessary to choose the desired composition and consistency of paint and practice on a separate section of the wall in applying a decorative layer, for the processing of which you need a homemade textured roller.
- It is necessary to take into account when working that the plaster dries relatively quickly, so the drawing should be applied quickly.
- After performing the application of the decorative layer (after 20 minutes), it is necessary to take a sanding grid, wet it with water and, pressing it weakly against the wall, smooth out the protruding parts of the relief.
- After that, after two days, the wall surface is cleaned from the remaining small particles. Then the decorative layer is painted in the desired color.
Materials and tools
It will take:
- wooden bar round shape;
- plastic pipe;
- the holder from the paint roller;
- rope (cord), plastic bag, thin fabric;
- foam rubber or rubber sheet;
- construction level, trowel;
- sanding mesh;
- paint roller or brush;
Textured roller with your own hands can be done if you use the recommendations that are given above. With accurate adherence to the technology of applying decorative plaster, the result will please you for many years.