More and more people are asking themselves: how to make a vice with their own hands? Joiner's vice is an important tool, without which it is quite difficult to produce many works, especially on wood. A properly made mechanism from the right side clamps the object, which prevents it from turning in an arbitrary direction during operation.
Self-made vice can be designed using only hand tools, spending a minimum of resources, regardless of the size of the workshop.
But not everyone can afford to buy a vise in the store. A good tool costs a lot of money. Where it is more profitable to make a vice independently. This is especially true if you use the vise in everyday life, and not for professional purposes.
Materials and tools needed for work
So, let's look at a specific example of how to make a vice. This is available to everyone, provided that you have at hand all the necessary blanks that you need to pre-buy in the store. So, for the manufacture of vise you will need:
Elements of design vise.
- pencil and long ruler;
- nail puller;
- long screw (it is best to find a screw whose thread length is about 15 cm; the screw itself should also be as long as possible);
- suitable studs;
- thick boards for the base of a vice.
When all you need is acquired, you can get to work. First, prepare the movable part of the vice. It will be a board, whose length is about 50 cm and a width of about 2 cm. The board is well polished with a jigsaw, so that later in the process of work it was impossible to get hurt about it. A fixed board can even be twice as large in size as a moving board. It must immediately be mounted on the desktop at the edge perpendicular to the table cover. This is convenient to do with ordinary thick nails. Level check that it is located exactly.
Scheme vypolvoleniya improvised vice.
Next, you need to drill a drill in both boards for screw holes. To do this, a drill bit is selected, which corresponds to the diameter of the screw or slightly less than it (not more than 1.5 mm). Similarly, holes are made for studs, by means of which the boards will be interconnected, in addition to the bolt. Studs will be installed on the edges of the boards. Accordingly, holes must be made in those places. Just make sure that the minimum distance from the edges is 5 cm.
Holes must be located relative to each other. Otherwise, the vice will be skewed. To avoid accidental skewing, you should nail both boards nailing each other while drilling, and after making the holes, pull the nails out.
So the holes are ready. Now it's time to combine all this into a single structure. First, holes and bolts are pushed into the holes. Then all this is fixed nuts and washers.
Immediately make sure that the gadget is spinning normally along the thread.
This makes it possible to adjust the width of the space in the vice where the parts will be inserted. Washers with studs should also be easy to understand. This is necessary in order to be able to more accurately adjust the vise to work with some very small objects.Back to table of contents
Recommendations for improving the tool
So, the process of making a simple homemade vice was considered. In the event that you want to make a more advanced tool, you can put into practice some recommendations.
Consider them in more detail:
- For a more reliable fixation of large items, experts recommend improving the vice, adding to them another screw. Of course, it is better to make two holes for the screws exactly in the middle. But if this is already impossible, you can drill a second hole next to the first one at a distance of about 5-7 cm, where you need to screw the screw and fix it with a nut.
- You can also use the additional fixation of the screw nut by pressing it into the key. Here you will need a U-shaped metal corner, which is mounted at the bottom of the base of the vice. You can fix the corner with screws and bolts. The main thing is to keep it firmly on the grip.
- To make working with the vice more convenient, you should use a long bolt with a hole at the end. As a rule, it is designed to insert a pin that will serve as a rotary knob. Due to this, you do not have to adjust the clamp to use pliers or suffer to turn the bolt. The handle will allow you to do this as quickly as possible.
So, the main subtleties of manufacturing vice considered. It is quite possible to cope on your own with such work and not to pay big money for an expensive tool. It should be noted that the improved version is acceptable even when you plan to use it for professional purposes.