In the garages, the representatives of the stronger sex have a lot of tools that are laid out on the racks or are in the cabinets, including things hand-made that men take pride in and admire daily. But in many garages there is no workbench where, for example, you can repair or create something of your own. The workbench is a special table on which it is possible to process any products. He is considered the main place of work of the master.
The scheme of the metal workbench.
A finished factory copy costs a lot of money, so you can try to make a metal workbench with your own hands. If you follow the instructions and have a little patience with it, you can get a good metal workbench that will help in the processing of many products.
Do-it-yourself workbench can be of any size and color, with or without drawers, have a round, oval or square shape depending on preferences. To make your work behind the workbench more efficient, you can install a vice or other necessary equipment for you there.
Types and use of equipment
The workbench is of four types:
The scheme of single and double bench workbench.
- Locksmith. It has a stable frame with a lid, which is made of metal. The workbench itself is made of solid wood, whose thickness is 40-60 mm. On a surface vice can be attached for metalwork work. The workbench of this type can withstand a blow with a sledgehammer or a lot of other heavy tools, specially made for complex and voluminous work. There are workbenches, the tabletop of which is made of MDF and covered with a layer of zinc. This combination of materials provides enhanced fire safety, moreover, it is easy to wipe. This workbench is designed for plumbing. Thanks to its metal frame and stable worktop, the workbench can be used to work with metal. This type of equipment can be very useful for car enthusiasts.
- Carpenter's. Used by people who work with wood. Joiner's workbench design similar to the metalwork. It includes a firm and sturdy base and cover. The dimensions of such a sample reach from 130 to 260 cm. The joiner's factory workbench has the property of adjusting the lid.
- Carpentry. It differs from the other two in its impressive size. The size of the carpentry workbench can reach up to 6 m in length and about 1 m in width. The carpentry workbench can be equipped with a jigsaw or a circular saw.
- Universal. On such workbenches, you can work with any kind of material or metal.
According to the classification of metalwork or, as they are also called, metal workbenches can be divided into several types:
The scheme of the joinery workbench.
- Single or double copies. Their difference lies in the size. The length of single rooms is 120-150 cm, width is 70-80 cm, height is 80-90 cm. Doubles are twice as big, the height remains the same. Experts believe that the size of the metal workbench is the most convenient.
- Multisite options are used mainly in workshops on large sections of plumbing work. This type of workbenches are quite large in size, about 280-350 cm in length, differ in functional qualities and high performance.
- The classification of equipment is also divided into bedumbah, one-legged, two-legged and reinforced. Bedside workbenches do not have special compartments in order to fold the necessary tools. The difference between the single-sided and double-sided version is the presence of one or two nightstands. In order to make a workbench with a cabinet, you must use high-grade steel with a thickness of about 0.9-1.5 mm. Such workbenches are mainly made of a stable tabletop, over which a layer of zinc is applied and a perforated panel protection is installed. Reinforced options are made of metal with a thickness of 5 mm. All parts of the reinforced workbench are bolted together.
Tools required for work
In order to make a metal workbench, the following materials and tools are needed:
- steel sheet;
- plywood sheet;
- the rule;
- Circular Saw.
Basic rules in the manufacture of workbench
Tools for the manufacture of metal workbench.
In the manufacture it is necessary to know a few simple rules. Before you start making a workbench, you need to decide where to install it. It is desirable that the metal workbench was closer to the outlet, in order, if necessary, connect the power tools. Thus, additional cords and extension cords will not be needed, it is convenient and practical at the same time.
Do not forget that the metal workbench must be stable and strong. In order that after the manufacture of the plumbing table it does not fall apart on the first day, it is necessary to use the most durable materials in its manufacture.
In order to not be disappointed in what you see after making the workbench, you need to think in advance about how you want to see it. Need to draw a sketch in advance.
It is desirable that there should be a sufficient number of cabinets in the metal workbench in order to have where to put the tools. It is very convenient and does not take time and effort to find them.
For convenient work the table-top should possess the correct geometrical forms. The lid or tabletop of the metal workbench should be perfectly flat.Back to table of contents
Step by step instructions for making a workbench with your own hands
Scheme of space for tools and parts.
- First we take two sheets of plywood, it will be a tabletop. One sheet of plywood has a thickness of 1.8 cm. It is necessary that the table top was 7.2 cm thick. So, we saw two plywood, after measuring the required length. The length of the segment should be 1.52 cm. Using the rule, we check the plane of the cut sheets, this is necessary for gluing two sheets together. When gluing the two halves, you must be very careful. Within two minutes it is necessary to apply glue-moment to the entire surface of the sheet, you can also use high-quality PVA glue. But after PVA, it is necessary to put any weight or clamps on the sheets for a better setting, so it must stand for at least a day. When tightening the clamps, it is necessary to follow the plane, this can be done with the help of the rule. There is no limit on drying time. When gluing sheets, you need to put them in such a way that they have a convex side to each other. After the glue dries, you can proceed to the next step. Workbench cover can be treated with fire-fighting equipment.
- The worktop of the workbench should have the correct geometric shape, and for this we attach the required dimensions to the lid. Keeping an angle of 90 °, you get a sheet of 1.5 x 0.6 cm in size. Residues from plywood can be used as strips for making a rigid perimeter. The strips should be 15 cm in size. After the strips are ready, they need to be glued along the entire perimeter of the metal workbench, but always so that the second sheet covers the joints of the first. Next, you need to take a steel sheet and put on top of plywood. Cut it the same size and fasten with screws. It turns out the table top, covered with a metal surface. Such a solution will give stability to this design.
- When the tabletop is ready, you need to proceed to support the design itself. The legs can be made from corners or square tubes. You can connect them only by welding. The height of the workbench depends on how they will work behind it, sitting or standing. The most convenient and optimal option is 90 cm. Having made a frame, it is necessary to make a 50-60 mm hole in it in the corners. It is necessary for fastening the table top and frame. For complete stability of the structure, legs can be poured with concrete solution to the floor.
- Optionally, on the workbench, you can fasten a vice, this is done from the side of the structure.
After making the workbench can make lockers. We take any unnecessary plywood or chipboard. First you need to decide on the size of the bottom of the locker. The door of the locker must be fixed on the legs of the metal workbench. The back wall must be made so that it was right next to the rear legs. The cabinet itself is assembled with self-tapping screws, and holes are made in advance in the walls that need to be fixed to the legs, then they are fixed with bolts. The shelves must be made so that all the necessary tools, such as a drill, hammer, ax, etc., fit into it.
If you are not satisfied with the surface of the door, you can glue the lockers with self-adhesive.
The construction you have built in the shortest possible time will please you with quality, and a correctly assembled form of a metal workbench will work for you for a long time.