One of the most popular tools needed for many jobs (car repair, building a house, etc.) is a jack. Those who independently had to carry out lifting work, know that hydraulic lifts have many advantages compared to mechanical ones: structural rigidity, stability and smoothness of work, high efficiency. Periodically in such equipment it is necessary to replace the oil. Therefore, today the question of how to properly fill the hydraulic jack is relevant.
Hydraulic jacks are one of the most popular tools when repairing a car or an old house.
Filling a hydraulic jack with your own hands
The main structural elements of the hydraulic lift are: body, working fluid, pump and piston (Fig. 1). Such equipment operates according to the principle of communicating vessels with the use of liquid, which is pumped by a driving pump using a hand or foot lever. During the operation of the jack, the working fluid flows out of the jacks through the glands and sealing elements, therefore it is necessary to top up the equipment for normal operation of the equipment. For this you will need:
Figure 1. The device of the hydraulic jack.
- flushing fluid;
First, the filler plug is unscrewed and the old oil is drained, after which the mechanism is flushed. Completely flush the lift is quite difficult. To do this, you will need to pour and drain the flushing agent several times, as well as to pump.
After flushing is complete, fill the tank with oil to the maximum level.
In this case, the lifting mechanism must be lowered to the lowest point.
To lower the stem to the lower position, turn the screw-tap to the “drain” position. Then tighten the plug and pump 4-7 times, unscrew the plug again and add more oil. After each pumping, the liquid in the tank will be below the maximum mark, therefore, pumping should be carried out until the oil stops falling.
Back to table of contents
Pumping a hydraulic jack do it yourself
The jack works on oil, with its help it presses on the piston and raises the rod upwards.
During the operation of a hydraulic lift, as well as when pouring oil into it, air bubbles may form in the working cavity, which significantly reduces the efficiency of such a device. To remove air bubbles from the hydraulics, it is necessary to perform a pumping procedure.
First, the bypass valve opens and the cap of the liquid container is unscrewed, after which it is necessary to quickly pump the pump several times. Due to this, air bubbles from the working area will be forced out into the reservoir from under the oil. Then you can close the bypass valve and the opening of the oil tank. If everything is done correctly, the hydraulic jack will begin to work normally.Back to table of contents
Recommendations for changing the oil in the hydraulic jack do it yourself
There is a special oil for hydraulic jacks, but you can fill it with an ordinary machine.
Replacing fluid in hydraulic lifts is a fairly simple operation, so everyone can handle it. However, if the oil does not change on time, with the assumption of some errors, or the device will be operated with some violations, this may entail the need for repair work or the purchase of a new lift. To avoid this, you should follow some recommendations of experts:
- Proper fluid replacement implies
- Removal from a hydraulic jack of all loadings. The very same equipment can begin to be used for its intended purpose only after it is fully assembled.
- To prevent the liquid in the lift from freezing, it must be stored in a dry and warm place, regardless of the ambient temperature.
- Any oil can be used as a working fluid, but if the equipment is to be used at low temperatures, then it is best to purchase and pour a synthetic solution.
- It is recommended to change the oil at least once every six months. If the lifting device is operated frequently, then the filling of a new fluid should be done once a month. At the same time, the entire mechanism should be flushed.
- Do not forget that too long work at low temperatures can lead to equipment breakage, therefore, it is recommended to carry out lifting work during the winter period only in extreme cases.
Taking into account all the recommendations, you can significantly extend the life of the hydraulic jack, which will save not only your money, but also nerves.