Can a do-it-yourself drill stand be made at home? To answer this question, you need to know what the device consists of and how to work on it. For many home crafts, it is desirable to have a drill machine. Many people cannot assemble it because of difficulties with its installation. A homemade tripod that will allow you to perform a variety of operations on the processing of wooden and plastic parts and drill holes in the metal will be described below. There will be tips and tricks that will help make this device.
Rack for a drill is needed when processing various parts (wood, metal, plastic).
Such a device has the following advantages:
- Comparative cheapness
- Parts available for assembly.
- The possibility of self-design rack.
But there are certain disadvantages:
- Often during assembly, factory parts and parts are needed, which increases the cost of the product.
- The play of individual parts of the rack due to improper fit is possible, and this leads to inaccuracies during operation.
- Homemade tripod usually does not allow to perform drilling from different angles and carry out other necessary work.
Universal drill stand
Stand device for drill.
The proposed option allows you to perform a variety of operations that will not lead to the failure of the engine of the drill itself.
If the rack is needed only for drilling, then its main parts can be made of wood. If you need to carry out other work (turning, milling), then the device must be assembled from iron or steel rods. Its main parts are:
- The bed - the main structural element.
- Rack - need for fasteners of the carriage on which the drill is installed.
- Handle - it serves to control the movement of the working node.
- To increase the capabilities of the device there are several additional components.
This option is the easiest to assemble.Back to table of contents
How to make a bed with your own hands
For the manufacture of the frame needed wooden plate.
This part is made of thick metal or wooden plate. Its main dimensions are:
- 50 x 50 x 1.5 cm when made of metal;
- 60 x 60 x 3 cm - if it is made of wood.
These types of bedding can be applied if the machine will be carried out only drilling work. If you need a multifunctional unit, the dimensions are selected within 100 x 50 (60) x 2 (3) cm.
To reduce the cost of the work of the bed is cut out of hard wood. On it fix the main rack with props. All these parts are connected with screws and fortified in a vertical plane relative to the frame.Back to table of contents
Homemade drill stand
It is made of 35 mm board or 2 cm metal plate. The length of this part can vary between 60-80 cm (it depends on the dimensions of the drill used), and the width is 20-25 cm. A holding element and a mechanism for longitudinal movement are fixed on it. Assembly is carried out in this way:
The scheme of a wooden rack for a drill.
- First, the support is strengthened on the frame;
- screwed to the vertical stand, which must be screwed to the support;
- the bases of 2 guides vertically become stronger, it is better to take ready, furniture;
- To their moving parts it is necessary to screw the carriage on which the electric drill is fixed.
In order for the machine to work normally and not jam, you need to check that the guides do not have any play. The length of the carriage depends on the size of the electric drill used and is selected in the range of 500-1000 mm. It is also made of wooden board or steel plate. There are two options for fixing the tool:
- using special clamps;
- using pads.
Clamps girdle electric drill and secured with holes in the board. They must be made of high-quality metal, otherwise, at the slightest beats of the drill, there is the possibility of a tool breaking off the base.
A plate is used as a pad, which is perpendicular to the carriage and fixed with metal squares. To strengthen the electric drill, a hole was cut in it and a special holder was made, which clamps the tool. The carriage is more reliable than the clamps, but also more difficult to manufacture.Back to table of contents
How to make a moving mechanism?
In the manufacture of the movement mechanism for the rack springs are required.
It consists of a handle and springs, and there can be two versions of its manufacture:
- The return mechanism is fixed directly next to the handle.
- In the slots of the carriage reinforced two springs.
In the first version, the axis of the handle should be positioned between 2 plates that need to be screwed to the main stand. The same device, but with a spring, is offset a few millimeters from the first. When the handle is moved down after releasing, the spring will return it to its original position, which will cause the carriage to rise to the starting point.
In the second variant, the pin and side plates are fixed at an angle of 90 degrees to the carriage, and the springs are fixed in the slots of the furniture rails. When you press the lever, the electric drill on the carriage will move down and the springs will shrink. If you release the handle, they will throw up the carriage assembly. In order for the spring elements not to fall out of their seats, it is necessary to fix them with metal squares.Back to table of contents
Milling and turning woodworking
For milling parts you need to attach to the machine the same rack, which must be strengthened in a horizontal plane, but instead of an electric drill on it you need to install a vice. In order for the self-made feed mechanism to work smoothly, you can use a long screw from an old printer — then you can achieve high precision machining when selecting the grooves.
To perform drilling work at different angles, it is necessary to apply a turning mechanism. It is made from an additional plate. There are holes in it along the arc. The entire feed mechanism must be strengthened on this part, which rotates on the axis. The main tilt angles range from 30 to 60 degrees. The swivel stand mechanism itself is done as follows:
Additional plates fasten to detail
- first, the main and moving plates are drilled;
- they measure the angles with a goniometer of any type and drill holes along an arc (or circle) on the surface of the AC.
- the axial holes of the two plates must be combined and closed with a screw;
- then through the additional plate 3 holes are drilled on the main surface.
DP when working turn on the angle at which to make a hole, and secure with a screw and nut. Using the device obtained as a lathe has the disadvantage that it will be possible to process parts that can fit into an electric drill chuck.
Required materials, devices and tools:
- Wooden or steel plates.
- Self-made or industrial handle from the machine.
- Guides from furniture.
- Metal squares.
- Electric drill.
- Hammer, file, screwdriver.
- Roulette, protractor, pencil.
It is quite possible to assemble a homemade stand for an electric drill with your own hands at home.
But this requires the exact implementation of all technological operations and the consideration of all the recommendations and advice, as a person deals with technology, and any deviation from the rules can lead to irreparable consequences.