For work in the home workshop, it is desirable to have a workbench. It can be made of wood or metal. The first option is cheaper, and make it much easier. The second type of such equipment is more difficult to manufacture, but much stronger and more durable. How to make a workbench? What materials and tools are needed for this? To understand these issues, consider two designs: the first is from wood, and the second is metal.
The metal workbench is made harder than wood, but it is more qualitative and reliable.
DIY Workbench - General Terms
First you need to decide on the height of the table. The housemaster should quietly do the work while standing and not slouch. Therefore, when designing a workbench, it is necessary to focus on the height of his desk at 80-85 cm. Next, determine the configuration, which depends on the equipment used by the master and the devices he uses. This number includes clamps, vise, various stops. It is necessary to take into account when they are located on the tabletop and what hand is most often used by this person, that is, he is right-handed or left-handed.
The device of joiner's workbench with a vice.
The size of the workbench depends on the space allocated for it. It is desirable that its dimensions were within the following limits:
- length - 1.9-2.4 m;
- width - 90-95 cm;
- height is 80-85 cm.
Under the workbench you need to mount cabinets for storing tools and materials. It is necessary to decide whether the structure will be stationary or it is desirable to remove it from the workshop from time to time. In the second case, the table is made of a material with a smaller thickness, and its cover and legs must be collapsible.
The workbench should be installed in a well-lit place (near the window), but at the same time it is necessary to install lamps for lighting in the evening. Electric sockets for the drill and other tools are installed near the table. Wiring should be done using a metal or plastic pipe.Back to table of contents
Wooden workbench do it yourself
Based on the above requirements, we design a table made of wood. For its main frame and legs, you can use a bar with a section of 10 X 8 cm, and for connecting jumpers - 10 X 6 cm. For the table top, boards from 45 to 60 mm thick or one-piece chipboard (preferably laminated) are used. Old wooden doors are often used as a cover from the table. The material must be chosen from hard wood, for example, oak or beech.
To equip the future workbench you need to pick a vice (preferably 2 pieces). The technology for creating the workbench is as follows:
The device is a wooden workbench.
- We cut the main parts from the timber with the help of a saw - parts of the frame, legs and lintels.
- The base is assembled in four parts. It is knocked down with nails or done on bolts. You can make them in "thorn and groove". The point of attachment of parts must be glued. When creating a collapsible version of the frame can be fastened with metal squares.
- Then the legs are attached to the resulting frame, and in order to obtain the desired rigidity, horizontal jumpers are inserted between them and provide for the rye. They should be made at a height of 45 cm from the floor - they are well suited for the installation of shelves and tool boxes.
- The evenness of the installation and the size of the parts must be checked after each assembly operation level.
- The design will be tough, if possible, one side of the frame must be attached to the wall or diagonal jumpers should be made between the legs.
- When picking up the tabletops from individual boards, they are tightly fitted to each other so that there are no gaps. The cover size should be 8-12 cm larger than the frame. For this, three bars are laid on the floor (they must go inside the frame) at a distance of 45-60 cm from each other, and table boards are nailed or screwed to them.
- The table cover is carefully polished, and then coated with linseed oil.
- It is attached to the frame with metal squares.
- Then install the vise by bolting them to the table through the holes made.
- In the same place establish an emphasis - purchased or self-made.
- Install shelves for parts and fasten them with screws.
This table - workbench is called carpentry, and it can be made of wood in a few days. It is convenient and quite reliable when processing fairly large parts made of wood or plastic. On it can be carried out and processing of small metal products. To give or garage it is desirable to have a more reliable table, the technology of which will be given below.Back to table of contents
How to make a workbench of metal
Scheme workbench of metal.
This type of equipment is made on a metal frame. To assemble it, you need to be proficient in the tool and have a lot of patience. This is the so-called metal workbench, which will allow you to work with parts from different materials. For him, also fit all the recommendations that were listed above.
The table has a solid metal frame and a lid with sides on 3 sides. The table top is made of plywood or MDF and is additionally covered with a metal sheet. It should not have sharp projections. The table is equipped with drawers with guides. They are needed for storing tools and large parts.
We make a frame of the corners (steel), which are cut with the help of the grinder. They should be 2.5–3 cm thick and measure 30 X 45 or 44 X 45 mm. To attach the table top to the frame, you will need a metal strip. Canvas table covers can be made of boards with a thickness of 60 mm and a width of 12-15 cm.
Then it will be necessary to obbit metal sheets (galvanized).
Scheme clamp workbench.
They are bought in the construction market. For the design described, their thickness is 2 mm. Manufacturing workbench is carried out according to the following technology:
- Cut from the squares details of the frame of the table and connect them by welding. The structure is reinforced with additional stiffeners, which are fixed at a height of 10 cm from the floor and the same magnitude from the plane of the table top.
- Square metal plates are welded to the legs for the future workbench stability.
- From the corners of 5 X 5 cm, a frame is made under the workbench cover - it should be 20 cm longer in length than the previously assembled frame with legs.
- Then, strips and corners are attached to the worktop, which can be used to install a protective screen.
- They drill holes in them with a drill - then the tabletops will be screwed in there. For this, screws with a secret washer are used.
- Gather planks from the planks table.
- They beat them with galvanized sheets of metal through holes that are drilled in advance.
- If you plan to make shelves or drawers, then you will need to weld additional strips.
- The boxes can be welded to the required size by yourself or buy ready ones - the main thing is that they should be installed on the guides and have a stopper to prevent them from falling out.
- A vise is set on the finished table and, in order to eliminate corrosion, ground its entire surface and then paint it.
To use the finished workbench from metal, you need to take into account several recommendations:
- always follow safety regulations to protect against injuries and keep the workbench in good condition;
- never try to handle large metal parts on the joinery workbench;
- use a vice when processing parts and do not hold it while holding the product in your hands;
- use the whole range of special tools designed for metal processing, as the weight of parts may be more than 300 kg;
- It is advisable to make a workbench with a bedside table, and attach a pocket to the side of the table where you can pick up trash;
- Always carefully tidy up the workplace after finishing the product and turn off electrical appliances, do it and before starting work.
Taking into account all these tips, you can start working on a homemade metal workbench.Back to table of contents
What materials and tools are used to make a workbench
For the manufacture of the workbench will need: welding machine, electric drill with drills, Bulgarian and other tools.
- Wooden bars.
- Chipboard, MDF or plywood.
- Metal squares, sheets and boxes (if you can not make them yourself).
- The vice.
- Nails, bolts, screws.
- Metal corners.
- Welding machine.
- Electric drill with drills.
- Hand saw.
- Roulette and ruler pencil.
Any master who wants to have a workbench in his home workshop should first decide what kind of look he needs: plumbing or carpentry. After that, you can safely proceed to the implementation of the plan. But it should not be forgotten about the recommendations and tips that were given above. Any violation of the technological process of creating a workbench will lead to instability of the homemade design, which can lead to injury. If a person is not confident in their abilities, then you can buy a workbench. This is a more expensive (financially) way, but it will save time and effort.