In the process of large-scale construction, the question often arises of how to bend sheet metal or metal elements, such as pipes. In order to bend pipes of small diameter, often use a vice. Large diameter pipes are bent on specially designed machines. They are also used in the event that during construction it became necessary to bend the sheet metal.
During construction, it sometimes becomes necessary to bend a sheet of metal, for example, to make pipes or a ridge of a roof.
When sheet metal is bent using a bending machine, no welding is required, which guarantees absolute safety of the material structure. Sheet metal bend necessarily taking into account its thickness and plasticity, after determining the bending radius.
It is a little about technology are flexible sheet metal
The self-made bending machine consists of:
It is possible to bend sheet metal having fixed it in a vice, and having applied simple adaptation from two corners and the handle lever.
- Flywheel nuts.
- Sheet for bending.
- Crimp punch.
In order to bend the sheet metal into the shape you need, you must perform certain actions. The advantage of the bending machine is the ability to keep the metal whole, unlike, for example, welding joints, due to which the durability and strength of the material is significantly reduced.
In the process of metal bending, its outer layers are stretched and internal layers are compressed. The result of applying a bending machine is a bent portion of the sheet metal or metal element at the intended angle.
As you know, when bending metal deformation occurs. Its degree will depend on the thickness of the material with which you have to work. A significant role is played here by the angle of the curved part and the speed with which you will bend the metal. It should take into account the degree of plasticity of the material.
In order to bend the sheet metal, special equipment is required by which any damage to the material can be avoided. If you decide to cope with this task yourself, it is worth considering the fact that the wrong actions can lead to various defects. The wrong technology of bending metal sheet can harm the entire finished structure. By means of the bending machine it is possible to bend the sheet having any thickness.
The name of the parts listogiba.
When sheet metal is bent, the stress must exceed its maximum elasticity. By means of the bending machine it is possible to achieve plastic deformation of a leaf. The shape of the finished design will not change.
Bending sheet metal using a special bending machine has a number of indisputable advantages, among which are the following:
- high strength of the finished structure;
- the ability to get a one-piece design;
- elimination of corrosion in the fold area;
- the ability to get the angle you need without a seam.
Bending sheet metal with the use of the machine also has its drawbacks:
- high cost of equipment;
- doing the work yourself is a rather laborious process.
Despite the presence of some minuses, sheet metal bent with a machine is distinguished by its high quality. Unlike a welded seam design, it is not “afraid” of rust.Back to table of contents
Metal sheet bending technology
The scheme and the name of the details of the sheet bending machine in the section.
Metal bending is performed manually, using equipment. This job requires the use of force. You will need pliers and a hammer. In order to bend a sheet metal having a small thickness, you can use a mallet.
In order to bend a metal sheet, the following materials and tools are needed:
- sheet metal;
- press (or roller machines);
- mechanical hydraulic rollers (necessary if sheet metal needs to be shaped into a cylinder).
Using hydraulic or electrically driven rollers, pipes can be manufactured. Often bending is necessary during home construction, when drains, metal frames, profiles, pipes, etc. are made. By bending the sheet metal with your own hands, you have the opportunity to make the pipe of the diameter you need. Using machines, you can easily give a conceived form to a material having a galvanized coating.
If buying a special bending machine is not affordable for you, and construction work often requires bending, using the instructions, you can make the equipment yourself. The machine is performed using a pre-prepared template made of wood. However, it must be made in a curved shape.
Manual bending is performed in a vice using a hammer.
When deciding on the fold of a future product, consider its size. The length that the future structure will have is calculated according to the radius of the sheet bend. When making blanks, for rectangular bends (if rounding is not required), allowances for the bend are left, which are 0.5 of the thickness of the material.
Working independently is most convenient with such plastic metals as brass, aluminum and copper. As regards the possible radius of the curved part, it will depend entirely on the manner in which the bending was performed, as well as on the quality of the metal itself. For products that have a small radius of curvature, plastic materials are required.Back to table of contents
How to bend metal with their own hands: making brackets
In order to make a brace yourself, you will need:
- a metal sheet;
- electric saw designed to work with metal.
Bending metal sheet in hot condition.
- First of all, using the scheme, the length of the strip that the workpiece will have is calculated, then, it is necessary to calculate the sheet bending. When performing the calculation, it should be remembered that for each bend it is required to leave a margin, the thickness of which is 0.5, and the bends of the ends 1 mm.
- According to the scheme, the workpiece should be cut out, then mark the areas on it for future bending. In order to make a bend, apply squares and vice.
- The workpiece should be fixed in a vice to approximately the level of the bend. Using a hammer, you can proceed to the first bend.
- Further, having rearranged the prepared element, clamp it in a vice and execute the next bend.
- Your next step is to determine the marks for the length of the legs of the future bracket. In order to bend the bracket with bar rim, also applies a vice. To do this, you need to bend her two legs at once.
If you need to clarify the bend, you can apply a triangle. In the case of improper bending, you can correct errors using a hammer and rim bar. Having achieved the desired bend, cut off the excess material, so as to obtain the desired size.Back to table of contents
Making a bending machine yourself with a list of materials and tools
In order to independently make a machine for bending metal sheets, you should take care of the availability of:
The layout of the rolls in a homemade machine for bending metal.
- corner (80 mm);
- metal beam (80 mm);
- welding machine;
- the table.
- First of all, a metal base for a homemade machine is made. To do this, use a metal profile-I-beam.
- Further, a corner is fastened to the upper part of the beam - here bolts should be applied. When bent, the workpiece will securely hold the corner.
- The hinges are welded under the corner (3 pcs.); Those that are usually attached to steel doors are perfect. The second part of the loop should be welded to a corner turned towards the profile.
- Using a corner (turning it) bends the metal sheet. For convenient use of the machine, made with your own hands, you need to weld a pair of handles (800 mm) to the corner.
- In order to press the machine to the table, you will need two large clamps. After unscrewing the presser corner, it is necessary to carry out the laying of the workpiece, after which the corner is set in its original place.
- To remove the corner while not necessarily raising it, you can easily lay the workpiece. The workpiece is installed between the profile and the corner. Further, the sheet of metal is aligned accordingly with the edge of the corner.
In conclusion, make sure that all the bolts are securely tightened, after which, turning the crosshead, fold the workpiece so that the desired angle is obtained.
With the help of the machine, made by hand, you can bend metal sheets having a small thickness.
Bending thick sheets requires the use of special machines manufactured in production.