The modern market of power tools offers a huge scope for selection. Here are a variety of devices that will help ease the work of man. Manual router is no exception to the rule. Of course, this is not a necessity, but for those people who like to make various beautiful things, it will definitely come in handy. In order for this tool to serve for many years, it is necessary to make the right choice.
The hand mill is a reduced copy of a familiar tool.
This will allow to get rid of a headache during the operation and maintenance of the tool. How it is made the choice of a manual milling cutter, it is worth talking in more detail.
What is the tool for?
Mills for a manual milling cutter.
Before you purchase such a tool, be sure to know all its features. Some people do not even know what they are talking about at the moment. So, the hand mill can be used for:
- performing shaped or direct cutting of the part edge;
- quarter sampling;
- removal of sockets for further installation of accessories;
- draft alignment;
- drilling holes;
- cutting grooves and slots.
Manual mill is a smaller copy of the usual tool of this type.Back to table of contents
Modern types of mill
Nozzles for milling cutters.
Before you buy one or another model of a manual router, you need to know what material to work with. After all, today there are as many as 3 varieties of such a tool. We should talk about them in more detail.
- The upper mill is divided into 2 subspecies - stationary and submersible. Both species are widely spread both in private and in professional practice. Here milling is carried out without separation from the part. The engine is mounted on strong springs, which makes any work quite easy. There is one major drawback with such a tool - it is very difficult for a newbie to work with him. Here you have to try pretty hard to replace the mill, because it will have to do in the process of its work.
- Edge milling cutter. Used to chamfer and make edges. It is for these purposes that it is intended. If a person, by the nature of his activity, has to do just that, then he definitely needs to pay attention to the edge milling cutter.
- Lamella router. Used for making grooves. With their help the most various details of this or that product are connected. Now everyone knows what types of manual milling machines are. Based on this information, you can already make a preliminary choice of the option that is useful in the work. However, you should not buy the first milling cutter, because there are a number of characteristics that will directly affect its work.
Characteristics of a manual mill
Elevator for router.
It is on the basis of the various characteristics of this device that the final choice is made. It is worth considering in more detail some of them.
- The power of any power tool determines its purpose. All modern models of manual milling cutters are divided into 3 groups: light, medium and heavy. The instrument is assigned to one group or another depending on the power developed. Today, for private home use, it is enough to purchase a milling cutter belonging to the medium or light group.
- The speed of the mill is also not its last characteristic. It is necessary to pay attention to it when purchasing equipment. The ability to process a particular material with the help of a manual mill is directly dependent on this parameter. This parameter can have values from 7 to 24 thousand revolutions per minute.
- The structure of the switch. Each type of hand mill has its own switches. The success of the future work depends on how well they are made. Some manufacturers save on switches, making them primitive, that is, when the button is pressed, the tool is turned on, and when released it turns off. It is very uncomfortable. A tool of this type has a large size and weight, so the finger on the button can always hold and fail. Some manufacturers provide protection against accidental starting. Here the work will be debugged just great. No buttons do not have to hold, you can fully concentrate on doing the work.
- The collet is also an important part of the tool. It should be made of quality steel only. It is best if it is alloyed or hardened. In this case, its service life is significantly increased.
- Vacuum cleaner Today, manufacturers are very often included in the standard equipment of their devices. It is the built-in version that is considered the most effective. However, some manufacturers do not mount it. In this case, dust extraction can be done independently on the basis of the old vacuum cleaner. Before you buy, be sure to find out if this option is available from the tool. This will relieve an extra headache during its further exploitation.
- Sole. This is another very important element of the whole mechanism. The sole is made most often by casting. Already attached to it all the basic guides and vertical rods. It should always be covered with either a wooden or plastic lining.
Other necessary details and features
Table for a manual mill.
Above were listed only the main details that should be available in the design of any high-quality manual router. However, they are not always enough. Most often, the manual mill is not used for rough machining of parts and mechanisms, but for their finishing fit. Here, the guides that come in the delivery package come out on top. They must be made of high quality materials. The most commonly used is hardened or alloyed steel. It is highly durable and reliable.
Parallel stops allow you to keep the part at an equal distance from the router during the entire process. Very convenient device. It also concerns the use of exceptionally high-quality materials. Only they can ensure its durability. In this case, the parallel stops at the point of contact with the part are closed with a plastic lining. It protects the part from the direct impact of the tool in this place.
In the opening of the sole must be inserted a special plate, which is called the sleeve. It should have ease of fixation. In this case, mechanisms that have an incompressible fixation are considered ideal. Only they provide truly optimal processing conditions for any surface. This is very difficult to achieve, and therefore the sleeves that are included in the standard package are used.
Angle stop is used so that you can copy the workpiece.Back to table of contents
What else to look for when choosing?
Be sure to look at the tool manufacturer. The benefit of the modern market offers to purchase many different models. European electric tools are considered the best. They have excellent performance and quality indicators. In addition, strictly comply with all safety standards. The German instrument is always made with high quality. All its details are harmoniously matched to each other. This also applies to the characteristics of Japanese electric tools. They have an excellent electronic layout. This directly affects the service life of any type of hand mill.
Chinese models in recent years have simply flooded the market.
Their distinguishing feature is low cost. However, this is almost always to the detriment of quality. It is better not to buy such a product, and if you buy, then only one that is manufactured in the factory, that is, is not a fake.
When buying, you can ask for advice from professionals who have been working with such a tool for a long time. They will definitely help you choose the optimal model.