Painting cars - the procedure is quite complicated and responsible, providing for the presence of some knowledge and skills. By painting, many car owners of cars are wary, trusting this process only to specialists. And very few of those who themselves are taken to paint the car. It is necessary to understand what nuances should be taken into account in the procedure of dyeing a personal vehicle. So, what is the optimal pressure for painting cars?
The scheme of electrostatic paint sprayer.
The industry of modernity produces special tools for the procedure of painting equipment. Using the spray gun and airbrush provides an opportunity for motorists to transform the vehicle with their own hands, so that the result of the effort applied is no worse than that of professionals.
Appropriate equipment is chosen in accordance with the planned scope of work, i.e. it all depends on what is required to paint: the entire surface of the body or only a separate element of it. Adaptation of the universal spectrum of action just acts kraskoraspylitel, the shape of which is very similar to a pistol.
Table paint consumption when painting a car with an airbrush.
When painting a very important skill is the ability to adjust the pressure. The outcome of all work will depend on how correctly the pressure regulator is configured. In order not to waste money and save personal time, you should sort out this issue thoroughly, take into account the recommendations of those who specialize in this issue.
Painting a car with illiterately chosen pressure threatens to turn into a flaw in paintwork. In this case, note:
- High pressure is the cause of the overrun of paint, drips, spoiled work in general, which will have to be done anew.
- Too low pressure also affects the quality of the coating, in addition, requires the use of high-power compressor.
Varieties of spray gun
The acquisition of the spray gun and the choice of its model is the first thing that we encounter in the preparatory stage for painting.
All spray guns are divided into 3 basic types:
- High pressure (up to 56 atmospheres). The main disadvantage of this type of tool is a serious loss of coloring composition at high pressure. Sometimes losses make up 60% of the total volume of paint, which is not very practical.
- Low pressure (range 2-2.5 atmospheres). This equipment is characterized by a low jet pressure, as a result of which the material is consumed economically. Their main disadvantage is the mandatory equipment with a powerful compressor, which often has large sizes. No less significant drawback - the quality of paint application is at a low level.
- With medium pressure. This category includes devices that are convenient to produce various painting manipulations. Medium pressure paint sprayers characterize different pressures at the instrument head and at the inlet. Thanks to this to work on the spray gun fit any compressor. Pleases the savings of paint, the quality of the coated surface also does not leave indifferent.
The scheme of use of the spray gun.
When choosing a tool should be aware that the set of adjustments on each spray gun is original. And it must be carefully studied before you start working.
The basic mechanisms of regulation that are available on the spray gun with average parameters:
- The regulator for the supply of fresh air is intended for the adjusted settings of the air supply at the exit (refers respectively to the pressure).
- Regulator on the shape of the torch. Here it should be clarified: the torch is the name of the ink print shape that remains on the surface during the spraying process. The purpose of this function is the optimal mood of the paint spray pattern at the time of dyeing.
- The regulator on the needle stroke (or the opening of the nozzle) controls the portioning of the coloring matter.
There is another classification, according to which all spray guns are grouped depending on the spray system of the material.
- HP (High Pressure) - high pressure product;
- HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) - a device with a large volume, but with a low pressure value;
- LVLP (Low Volume Low Pressure) - low volume and pressure;
- LVMP (Low Volume Middle Pressure) - medium pressure low pressure instrument;
- HTE (High Transfer Efficiency) is a highly efficient transfer device.
Each of these systems is characterized by individual parameters, advantages and disadvantages, which are noted in the operating instructions.Back to table of contents
LVLP system specifications
The scheme of painting the car transition.
Professionals selected the most acceptable type of paint sprayers - the LVLP system. Its characteristics are:
- small percentage of air consumption;
- excellent quality of transfer of the coloring composition to the object;
- poor response to pressure surges at the compressor, occurring from time to time in the process.
Carefully analyzing the main varieties of spray equipment, we can come to the conclusion that medium-pressure devices are suitable for painting cars with all their characteristics. It is better not to acquire products with a high and a low indicator of the required parameter, since the process of dyeing with their participation will be substantially difficult.
Please note: the technique should be covered with 3 layers of paint (at least) with an average pressure of about 3 or 4 atmospheres (this value is considered optimal for car décor). Remember these numbers, because it is through them that you will achieve the desired results of staining.Back to table of contents
Adjusting the air supply on the spray gun
Competent adjustment of the device involves several procedures:
- preparation of the coloring composition;
- setting the desired dosage of paint supply (if necessary);
- regulation of air supply.
The third item is more labor intensive.
Begin to make the regulation of the pressure of the paint after all the preliminary work with the coloring composition. Experiments will require a sheet of drawing paper or A3 paper or higher. It is fixed on the wall. All this will be required solely for the implementation of the adjustment and will not be required during further work.
After that, the prepared coloring liquid is poured into the spray gun and pre-sprayed onto a sheet of drawing paper attached to the wall. Pressure settings are adjusted until the experimental surface is covered uniformly with a thin layer and there are no stains on it.
It is very difficult to find the ideal pressure without preliminary samples, since the required value is selected from a number of parameters: the type of the coloring composition, its viscosity, the modification of the spray gun.
Therefore, the installation of the required pressure is performed precisely by sampling - by means of an equal supply of air and evaluation of the coated surfaces. When there is no release of paint in the form of fine dust, but at the same time drops of different gradations fall on a sheet of drawing paper, it makes sense to add air. When the shape of the torch takes the form of a figure eight on the surface, this signals an excess of air supply and increased pressure.
Scheme adjustment torch spray gun.
The task of the samples is to find a value of pressure at which the torch will take an elongated figure without inclusions and spitting. Ensure that the coating lays down equally over the entire range of the print of the torch. If this is the case, the adjustment is considered complete and proceeds to work with the body.
The whole essence of the regulation of air supply is always the same in any way:
- regulation through the mechanism on the spray gun;
- testing by means of a removable regulator that comes with the device, and when working worn on its handle;
- regulation of air supply on the receiver where the hose is connected to it.
Trying on your own, it is quite possible to figure out the air adjustment and find the appropriate amount of pressure to paint the car. This procedure is not so difficult if you compare it with the moment of preparing the car for painting. Already half of the success - prepared by all the paintwork composition, work surface and equalized pressure.
At the moment, effective spray guns that facilitate pressure control, and the choice of the appropriate torch, due to its high cost, are not available to the general public.
The car owner, buying a spray gun for personal use, expects to use it no more than once every three years, or even all 5. Therefore, it becomes more profitable for many to provide a service station with a car service station than to invest more than one thousand dollars in one device with a low utilization rate.
Therefore, use the devices of the middle class that are available on each car store. You can go through a familiarization digest (by studying the instructions and relying on the recommendations of the “experts”) regarding the choice of compressor and receiver (when the compressor is not built-in). Prior to the transfer of work on the car you need to practice and do more than one experiment on the surface prepared for the experiments.
Some car owners choose to use home-made devices instead of purchasing a model produced in the factory. This is possible only when a person is aware of the intricacies of the receiver and compressor, the properties of coloring compositions and other points.
Homemade spray gun can not be used if there is no experience in adjusting the pressure for painting cars.
Use the above tips and act correctly. Have a good model selection!