Perhaps no man can do without a screwdriver. This is a tool that allows you to twist and unscrew the screws, as well as drill holes. There are devices that are powered from the network, and devices that have batteries, which makes them very convenient to use.
Screwdriver device scheme.
For such devices, the battery is a very important part, therefore, in order to be able to use the tool for a long time, it is necessary to know the exact answer to the question about charging the screwdriver.
Varieties of batteries for the screwdriver
Each type of battery has its own characteristics, knowing that you can correctly charge the screwdriver to serve for a long time.
The electric circuit of the charger for the screwdriver.
- Nickel-cadmium batteries (NCB). This type of battery has compact parameters and a large capacity, so they can be charged more than 1000 times with the right action. NCB has a memory effect, i.e. If you charge it before full use of the charge, it will reduce the energy intensity of the battery. Before using a new device, it is necessary to charge the battery three times and then completely discharge it. The same rule should be observed when long-term storage of the instrument, it will allow to reduce the incomplete battery capacity to the required working condition. And henceforth, the NCU must be charged only when the energy reserve is exhausted, i.e., to the state when the device is not functioning at full capacity. This rule must be observed when storing the screwdriver.
- Nickel-metal hydride batteries (NMGB). They belong to the new generation of batteries, so the memory effect, unlike NCB, is less pronounced, which is an indisputable advantage. But still, the NGB has its drawbacks - a high self-discharge current. In order for this battery to last a long time, it must be stored in a charged state. If the screwdriver is not used within a month, the batteries must be fully recharged.
- Lithium-ion batteries (LIB). By right are considered the most powerful batteries. They are able to quickly charge and do not have a memory effect. To charge a screwdriver with this type of battery is not difficult. No need to achieve full battery charge, but you can feed it as needed. However, they are not particularly popular due to their high cost and intolerance to low temperatures. It is the last criterion that causes a lot of inconvenience - it is necessary to charge the batteries at a temperature of 10-40 ° C. If the battery heats up while charging, it is necessary to cool it to prevent negative effects on their functionality. It must be stored partially charged, separate from the device, not more than 2 years.
How long does it take to charge the battery?
There are two types of chargers:
- Standard - most often used to charge a non-professional tool. This type of device can fill the battery in 2-7 hours.
- Pulse - used to charge a professional screwdriver. This type of device is very easy to use, because it takes up to 60 minutes to charge the battery.
Some devices have an indicator that allows you to accurately determine the energy state of the battery, which greatly simplifies the process of charging. With a device that does not have an indicator, you must independently monitor the time spent on battery charge. As a rule, the number of hours required for a full charge is indicated in the instructions for use. These data may vary depending on the type of battery and screwdriver, for example, NCB with a capacity of 1.2 A.ch. is charged for 7 hours with a current of 250 mA. Take them into account to prevent damage to the battery.Back to table of contents
The choice may be fatal
Comparative characteristics of alkaline batteries.
In order for the screwdriver to last for a long time, you need to competently approach the selection of the tool before the acquisition. Exist:
- household or amateur models;
- professional devices.
To make the right choice, you need to decide how often the device will be used. If the instrument is purchased for professional purposes, it is better not to save money on it. As a rule, professional devices are equipped with two batteries, which makes it possible to operate the tool without interruption.
In addition, if the battery breaks, the craftsmen collect one of the two batteries, which significantly saves the budget and allows them to continue their work activity for a certain period of time.
For domestic purposes is quite suitable amateur model, and you should not go broke on an improved screwdriver. There are several reasons for this:
- Batteries For the rare use of the tool of one battery is enough, so the second battery will remain unclaimed and, perhaps, soon it will simply deteriorate.
- Troubles. If the kit still has two batteries, then you need to monitor the state of the second battery and periodically recharge it, and this is too much fuss.
- Amateur screwdriver has the same functions as a professional, and in this it is absolutely not inferior. If the house is being renovated and there is a need for frequent use of the tool, it is possible to consider a semi-professional option.
From all of the above, it becomes obvious that the choice can also play a large role in how long the device will last.Back to table of contents
The battery does not charge!
The device is a lithium-ion battery.
A situation may arise in which the battery cannot be charged:
- The disappearance of the contact due to the extension of the terminals in the battery.
- Wear power supply.
- There is a fault in charging.
In the first case, you can open the screwdriver and bend all existing terminals. In other cases, it is better to contact the master.
With long-term operation of the device comes wear of its parts. Contamination and oxidation of contacts leads to a deterioration in the conductivity of the current, which ultimately makes it difficult to charge the battery. Therefore, periodically, with a preventive purpose, it is possible to process and clean the contacts of contamination, which will significantly increase the life of the device.
With a strong wear of the tool or improper use of NCB, a moment comes when the battery cannot be charged due to the loss of energy capacity. In this case, it is necessary to disassemble the battery pack and identify problem parts. After that make them charge a large current. The effect is reinforced by recharging with a small current, after which the battery will function for a short time if the electrolyte remains in it.
If your battery has served and can not be repaired, then you can try to "reanimate" the battery with the help of the donor battery. Inside each block there is a set of ten elements - “cans”. Each bank has a capacity of 1.2 V. For repair, you need to select the most functional elements from which a new battery is assembled. Ideally, a fully charged battery when measuring its energy with a device produces 12.89-13 V. Therefore, when a new battery is ready, you need to check its capacity and ensure that it is working. If the battery is healthy, it will charge for a long time and the screwdriver torque is weakened gradually. If it is broken, then the charge is not enough even to screw in ten medium-sized screws. This method is very painstaking and requires certain skills, so you should not once again experiment with it.Back to table of contents
Some good tips for last.
Screwdriver - a device that is widely used in everyday life, so you need to remember a few rules, compliance with which can significantly increase the period of operation and get rid of unnecessary repairs of the device:
- Regardless of the type of battery, you should not achieve complete discharge, it is enough just to catch the moment when the device objectively began to work much worse. It is during this period is to put it on charge.
- Acquire the device and batteries to it is exclusively in specialized stores, where they know a lot about the goods sold and give a guarantee for their quality.
- Screwdriver batteries, while in store windows, tend to be discharged, so after the purchase, it is necessary to charge and discharge the battery three times before fully using its reserves.
- Compliance with the temperature regime will also help to increase the battery life. The optimal temperature is from +10 to + 40 C.
When storing the device with NCB, you must first ensure that the battery has been partially discharged. If you need to use the tool after a long storage, you must first prepare it as indicated in paragraph 3. With long-term storage of the battery in order to prevent the need to recharge it no more than 1 time per month.