For cutting glass, you can use an oil glass cutter, the instruction for use of which is not too complicated. The device can be used not only by specialists, but also by beginners. The device has enough functions to perform high-quality, accurate and fast work. Oil glass cutter has the function of supplying lubrication in automatic mode, which allows it to be used much more comfortably. Oil is poured into a compact tank, which is located in the handle of the device. The lubricating solution enters the blade through a special wick, i.e. the equipment operates according to the simplest principle of a ballpoint pen. It is convenient to hold the glass cutter in hands, it will not take long to get used to the device.
Oil glass cutter allows you to accurately and quickly cut glass, mirror or ceramic tile.
Using an oil glass cutter allows you to ensure the following conditions:
- Glass particles are bound during operation, i.e. the probability of injury decreases many times.
- The movement of the device is smooth and easy, no more effort is required with constant pressure control, which greatly facilitates the work.
- The service life of this device is much higher than others. Blades retain their sharpness, which has a positive effect when you need a large amount of cutting.
- The friction of the roller when cutting is reduced, this prolongs its service life, the same condition is fulfilled for the side surfaces of the tool.
Cutting mirrors with a moving ruler and glass cutter.
The cost of an oil cutter is higher than other devices for cutting glass, but the convenience and service life is much higher. The cutting head retains its properties for a long time, it lasts about 5,000 meters of cutting. This is a guaranteed quantity, after which the head can be changed if the quality of work has deteriorated. When buying an oil glass cutter, you need to simultaneously purchase a special oil for pouring into the tank. The flow of fluid is economical, but some of its stock should still be kept.
How does an oil glass cutter differ from the usual?
The tool received considerable popularity today, it is intended not only for professionals, but also for beginners, it is easy to work with the tool. Its cost is not the lowest, but diamond devices are also not cheap. With sharp glass, where accuracy is paramount, the oil tool will do much better.
Types of glass cutters.
An oil glass cutter differs from the others in that it has the ability to automatically supply lubricant to the work surface, i.e. there is no need to constantly wet the sheet. A small tank is built into the body of the equipment, oil is poured into it. A special valve and screw provide a uniform supply of lubricant to facilitate the work, make it better and extend the life of the roller.
Instructions for use is simple. It consists in correctly pouring oil and preparing equipment and a sheet of glass for work. In the absence of experience, it is recommended to practice on a small piece before cutting. This will make it possible to determine the speed and pressure on the device. Cutting should be smooth, uniform.Back to table of contents
How to use an oil glass cutter?
Oil glass cutter includes items such as:
- The cutting head, which has a round shape. It is designed for cutting glass up to 6 mm thick. There are interchangeable heads that can be used during operation.
- Two-level type oil supply valve.
- Special ergonomic handle, inside which is located the oil tank.
Today you can use the following glass cutter models:
The head of the oil glass cutter has high strength, it lasts a long time.
- The tool “standard”, the angle of sharpening of the cutting roller which is equal to 145 °. You can cut glass with a thickness of up to 6 mm.
- The “master” tool, whose sharpening angle is 155 °. Used for shape cutting. Sheet thickness can be 6-12 mm.
- The power tool, the sharpening angle of which is 158 °. It can be used for processing thick sheets with a thickness of 12 mm.
Scheme of work:
- It is necessary to fill the reservoir of the oil cutter with lubricating fluid. It is enough to gently open the special vent screw and fill in the oil. It is located at the end of the handle glass cutter.
- Only special oil should be used for work, in no case should you take liquids that are not intended for glass cutting tools. They will not only not provide the required quality, but also lead to clogging of the valve.
- After the valve has been opened, air will get inside, the oil will begin to flow onto the blade.
- If you want to use a glass cutter without an oil supply, then it is best to tightly tighten this screw.
- Lubricating fluid enters the blade when pressure is applied to the valve. It is important to adjust the flow so that the liquid flows smoothly and evenly onto the work surface.
- When cutting, observe the distance to the working cutting roller of 6 mm.
If necessary, the oil tool roller can be rotated through 360 °, as a result, you can even make an angular cut. It is recommended to use special templates for work, which greatly simplifies the process and makes it more qualitative.Back to table of contents
Cutting glass do it yourself
Glass cutting technology.
Before you start cutting glass, you need to properly prepare. First, the sharpness of the blade is checked, then a lubricating oil is poured into the handle. After that, you should prepare the workplace, where the cutting will be carried out. It is best to perform work on a large flat table, from which everything unnecessary is removed. Worktop dimensions should be larger than a sheet of glass. Minimum clearances - 50-100 mm. In addition, you should immediately determine where the ready-cut sheets and trim, chopped and defective parts will be formed. It is best to lay a chipboard sheet on the surface of the table, it is recommended to cover it with a piece of soft clean cloth on top.
Then prepare the tools that are necessary for work:
- oil glass cutter;
- measuring tool;
- patterns for cutting.
You first need to check the device on a small piece of glass to determine if the blade should be replaced. The quality of work will depend entirely on this stage. Measurements are made for windows or for other openings where glass will be inserted. Marking on the surface of the glass is applied with a special marker. Thoroughness in this matter is also important, especially if the cutting process is performed for stained glass windows, pieces of furniture, inserts for windows and doors, aquariums.Back to table of contents
Glass cutting process
Next is the cutting. The instruction here is not too complicated, but it requires compliance with all stages of work. First you need to cut the glass, the correct markings will ensure that there will be much less waste. To perform the markup, you can use a marker or a special steklograf.
The cross handle is necessary for the convenience of working with an oil glass cutter.
Using the curve and ruler, it is necessary to determine the first and last points for the cut. The ruler is placed on the surface, after which it is necessary to carefully cut, the surface will be wetted with oil from the reservoir. The process at a glance is simple, but maximum concentration is required. It is important to be careful if the work is done for thin glass. With the slightest mistake, it can easily split.
During cutting the ruler is not removed, it must be pressed to the surface. The glass cutter should be smooth and neat, not stopping to spend a cut. Force and speed can not be changed. This rule is simple and at the same time difficult for a beginner.
If the first time does not work or there is no experience, then it is better to practice beforehand.
We must take a piece of material that will no longer be suitable for work. Apply various types of markup to it, for example, straight, broken and wavy lines. Using a glass cutter to determine the position of the hand, the optimal speed and effort required for work.
When cutting is performed, it is impossible to press hard on the surface, in this case cracks will appear, and the material consumption will be increased. An oil glass cutter is also used when it is necessary to make a chip. The sheet is placed on the edge of the working tabletop, then a marking cut is performed, a piece is broken off with a sharp and precise movement. If the glass thickness is 3 mm or more, it is necessary to put a bar in addition to the cutting line. The glass cutter from the bottom of the surface produces neat tapping. This causes a crack, i.e. breaking a piece will be easier.
Summarize. Work with an oil glass cutter is simple, but requires skill. Liquid is poured into a special tank, after which the working surface is marked. Cutting should be smooth, speed and pressure cannot be changed, as cracks and unnecessary chips may appear.