Recommendations of experts on how to make a thorn with a manual mill, provide convenient use of this tool in the manufacture of furniture, load-bearing structures of lumber. On spikes of a simple configuration, elements of tables and chairs are assembled. For the manufacture of frameworks cottages on the technology of half-timbered apply spikes of complex configurations of high reliability.
Figure 1. Diagram of the root thorn.
To create a spike with a milling cutter, it is sufficient to ensure the fixation of the workpiece relative to the guide surface for the sole of the electric tool, to set the required height of the working body - the milling cutter. Home-made devices from scrap materials significantly improve the quality of the spike, safety of work, convenient for mass production of identical elements or locking joints on workpieces of various sizes and configurations (Fig. 1).
The choice of power tools, cutters
A standard spike is a two-sided selection of wood from one edge of the workpiece. For this, any manual router with a collet of 12 mm or 8 mm is suitable. Rectangular grooving cutter is perfect for processing two parts used in this connection:
- the side surface, the bottom end is necessary to create a groove;
- the thorn by a manual mill is made by the end edge of the tool.
Figure 2. Diagram of devices for milling spikes.
Thus, having refilled the mill once, the master eliminates the need to reinstall the tooling, which is very convenient during the construction and serial production of furniture.
The dovetail spike is more reliable, durable, for its manufacture a similar milling tool with the same name is required. However, the adaptation in this case will be completely different. The manual milling machine for a thorn is a universal tool, therefore it does not need replacing. The power tool of this type has convenient side handles, a wide sole, spindle fixation against turning when changing the tooling. The cutter reach at the moment of cutting cannot be changed due to the side stopper.Back to table of contents
Making devices for sampling spike
Unlike the professional machine, the working tool has no fixation in space. It is served on a fixed workpiece with two hands. Therefore, the manufacture of devices for clamping parts in the first stage is a reasonable necessity. The simplest device for this is the design (Fig. 2) of the fixed guides (upper, lower, side) of the movable bar, which adjusts the length of the sample. To build it, you must perform a sequence of actions:
- to fix on the piece of plywood (along its edges) side vertical elements of the same height with central notches;
- cover them with guides along which the router bit will move;
- put the side rails, limiting the course of the power tool on the upper rails;
- install on the bottom plywood a movable element, which regulates the departure of the edge of the workpiece, which is subjected to milling.
Figure 3. A spike sampling pattern.
For fixing the movable bar, a standard screw with a lamb or special fasteners are used. The dimensions of all structural elements are selected individually:
- the height of the upper guides is equal to the thickness of the workpiece in which the spike is made, taking into account the small gap for fixing the wedge;
- the width of the notch in the vertical elements depends on the length of the tenon created by the hand mill.
For operation on this device, a manual milling cutter of any modification, the manufacturer, is suitable, since most models provide for adjustment of the cutting speed, feed, departure of the working body.
For the dovetail spike, a device with the opposite principle is used:
- in the sheet of plywood, located horizontally, the power tool is fixedly fixed;
- its body is located at the bottom, the cutter extends from the back side of the sheet into the through hole;
- on the desktop is attached a bar of hard wood (beech, birch, oak);
- on the bar there is a piece of board fixed at 2.5 cm, which is a consumable material (it is used once with a certain cutter diameter).
Structurally, fixing a manual router in a sheet of multilayer plywood is solved by several options - clamps, screws. It is important that the fasteners do not protrude on the working side of the plywood. The sheet itself can be attached to the workbench, lean on a couple of chairs, be fixed on several rows of a bar, trestle, woods.Back to table of contents
Spike sample: direct variant, dovetail modification
Video 1 shows in detail how to make a spike at home, making the simplest device for a one-time or mass production. The technology of work on the created device for a straight spike is as follows:
- the part is placed on the lower supporting plane from the side opposite to the movable strip;
- the edge of the workpiece, on which the spike is milled, extends into the notch of the upper guides against the stop into the movable element for the desired distance (the length of the spike);
- the mobile level is fixed by a thumbscrew or a clip;
- the workpiece is wedged with a special element between its upper plane, upper guides;
- manual router is placed on the upper guides;
- the bottom end of the tool removes wood from one side of the spike;
- the workpiece is inverted, the operation is repeated for the other side of the spike.
Dovetail connection scheme.
The technology provides high performance for identical parts. Thanks to the device created once, it is possible to make a spike on details of any configuration, size. Setup frezer is carried out after its installation on the upper rails:
- cutter lowers all the way to the bottom plane of plywood;
- measured thickness of the part;
- equipment rises to the required height (usually the thickness of the workpiece divided by 4).
Straight spikes for high-quality fixation in mating slots are usually connected with glue.
This ensures a high connection life, prevents loosening during the operation of the furniture of the supporting frame of buildings and structures (Fig. 3).
The choice of cutters for the “dovetail” connection is arbitrary, experts recommend a groove of about half the thickness of the part. A simple way to manufacture a structure with this connection is shown in video 2. The sequence of operations is as follows:
- horizontal placement of a sheet of plywood with a hand mill secured from the bottom;
- fixing one side of the guide bar with a screw (consumable piece of the board is mounted on the beam from the side of the cutting tool);
- installation of the guide bar at the required distance from the center of the cutter with fixing its second edge to the plywood clamp (workpiece width minus the diameter of the dovetail cutter in the widest part, divided in half);
- selection of the groove to the desired length (width of the workpiece with a spike);
- setting the guide beam to the required distance to select the spike (the clamp is removed, the cutter cuts into the consumable piece of the board so that the distance from its vertical plane to the center of the cutter is: the width of the part minus the width of the groove divided in half);
- fastening the second side of the guide beam with a clamp;
- selection of the side surfaces of the workpiece.
After fitting the spike into the groove, the spike thickness is adjusted. It should fit into the return groove without effort, with a small gap necessary to accommodate the adhesive composition. If necessary, the guide bar is moved, milling is repeated until this condition is met.