Laser cutting plywood with their own hands began to be popular recently. It should be understood that the beauty of artistic plywood structures is primarily determined by the quality of the materials used, however, the method of their processing also matters. Previously, cutting plywood sheets produced using a manual or electric jigsaw. However, recently began to be used and milling plywood.
Plywood sheet consists of several layers of veneer plates. It is formed in such a way that the fibers of the joined sheets of wood are arranged perpendicularly relative to each other, as a result of which the processing becomes more complicated.
Laser cutting of wood is a point-like effect of high-energy beams on the base of materials, as a result of which they are processed without contact. At the point of contact between the beams and the plywood sheet, there will be a strong temperature increase, due to which the sheet will evaporate. This technology is popular due to the fact that in this case, you can get the minimum area of the cut - the seam can be from 0.01 m thick.
Items that will be needed:
- gas pipe with a mixture;
- blowing system.
Laser cutting of plywood: features
The device apparatus for laser cutting.
Milling cutting has neat cutting edge parts, which is an added advantage. In this way it is quite convenient to engrave and cut small openwork elements. However, it should be noted that the extreme parts of the seams will acquire a dark shade due to charring under the influence of high temperatures. This deficiency can be partially compensated for by the airflow design.
In most cases, a gas pipe with a mixture of CO2, helium and nitrogen is used as a source of laser radiation. In the process of applying voltage from the transformer structure, the mixture will initiate radiation, which will be directed by the mirror system to the base to be cut. Laser power for plywood cutting should be more than 20 W, however, in some designs, low power analogs can also be used.
Another advantage of laser cutting is high accuracy. To perform milling cutting or engraving with your own hands, you will not need to make physical efforts. This is achieved due to the small diameter of the beam and the availability of numerical control program.
This management allows you to implement complex operations through the use of programs, making the process of cutting and engraving easier. It will only be necessary to prepare a sketch, which is compiled in digital format. This advantage distinguishes such devices from structures that are controlled manually.Back to table of contents
Installation of additional elements
Additional devices may be included in the design of the apparatus with the help of which milling cutting is performed. These elements will be able to ensure the full functioning of the device and improve the quality of the processed materials.
The following additional elements are most commonly used:
- Chiller A device that is used to actively cool a laser tube. A glass gas bulb will heat up considerably during operation. To cool it, you will need to use a secondary shell, in which fluid is constantly circulating. The design of the chiller has a water pump and a cooling device that does not allow the circulating mixture to heat up. On average, a chiller costs about 30,000 rubles, because some want to replace it with an ordinary liquid. Cooling of the water in this case will be done by mixing with the liquid in the tank. In order to maintain the desired temperature under similar conditions, the tank must be filled with at least 100 liters of liquid, which is quite difficult to achieve.
- Blowing system. Used to cool the base of the part. Without this element, the extreme parts of the cut will be charred, as a result, an open flame may occur at the place of the cut. Active cooling will be applied to the lens for focusing, however, this device is included in the standard design of the device and does not apply to accessories.
Laser cutting of plywood: the nuances
There are many manuals in which milling cutting of plywood sheets is done using homemade tools. However, you should know that this process is difficult from the technical side, it is quite difficult to perform in the domestic environment. There are some parameters that are difficult to recreate at home.
It is necessary to consider the following nuances:
The basic principles of laser cutting.
- Laser power Devices that are assembled with their own hands, most often calculated on a small budget, which is inappropriate in this case. It should be understood that the cost of the source of the necessary power is from 40,000 rubles. Consequently, save will not work. Analogs that are made of DVD drives can only be used as a high power laser pointer.
- Cooling system. Such a cooling system in most cases is made of a 100 liter tank. It will be difficult to select parts for transformation, which can negatively affect the quality of the beam and the entire device.
- In the end, it will be necessary to accurately adjust all available parts. In domestic conditions it is quite difficult to do.
Laser cutting of wood is a delicate process.
You can achieve fantastic results only if all the necessary tools are available.
The demand for decorative woodwork is constantly growing, the scope of the use of finished designs today is wide. Using a device for laser cutting, you can make panels, floor and wall interior elements, cut blanks for furniture.
Laser cutting of plywood should be done on factory fixtures: funds that were invested in a homemade construction can be wasted, since the desired results are not always obtained. However, if you take into account all the existing nuances, you can make home-made equipment, which will be of the same quality as the factory. Also in this case, the role and skills of the manufacturer.