A simple man in the street is not too clear about the purpose of building a hairdryer. Meanwhile, it is very easy to use. Especially in home repair. However, branded models are expensive. They are equipped with all sorts of modes that allows you to do the work quickly and efficiently. But, as a rule, a lot of “whistles” are sometimes simply not required, and for an elementary heating function, it’s easy to make a building hairdryer with your own hands.
One of the most important characteristics of a building hair dryer is the power of a heat blower. The greater its power, the more opportunities in the work of the dryer.
Functions of the building hair dryer:
- removing the old paint of any texture;
- glue removal, therefore, tightly adhered coatings: wallpaper, linoleum, plywood, etc .;
- waxing furniture;
- defrosting all kinds of pipes, even plastic ones;
- welding plastics;
- quick drying of painted surfaces and leaks;
- kindling coal in the grill.
This is not a complete list of work performed. What exactly is needed and whether the problem can be solved with the help of a building hair dryer, the owner himself will decide.
What will it take to make a hair dryer with your own hands?
The construction of the building dryer.
- Old body hair dryer. No plastic, only ceramic.
- Metal blades for the fan. They can be made from sheet metal.
- Spiral nichrome.
- Power cord. The wire in it must be a cross section of not less than 4 mm, otherwise it will not withstand the load.
- A piece of rubber pipe, worn on the future construction dryer, reliably protects your hands.
- Metal nozzle, flattened on one side, for easy melting and reheating.
- Straight round tube for soldering and boiling.
- Personal protective equipment - gloves.
Independent installation and its features
So, we build the construction of the dryer. First, the old building of the future building dryer is disassembled, and plastic parts are taken out from there. If this is not done, then, in addition to the caustic odor, it is possible to ensure the closure of the wires, when melting and plastic ingress on electrical elements are allowed.
Then a nichrome spiral is wound on the heating element, and the denser the coils, the greater will be the heating temperature. Wire ends need to be brought out. When winding it is necessary to strictly observe the distance so that the coils do not touch. A closure is also possible.
Now the ends need to be connected to the cord. For this, it is simply wound, since it cannot be soldered with nichrome, and is insulated.
Attachments are of the following types: focusing, flat, welded mirror, reflex and gear.
Next, the rubber tube should be put on the handle of the dryer so that the heated ceramics do not burn the hands. Best of all, an old cloth corrugation from a vacuum cleaner is suitable for this purpose, it is rubberized inside, and the material will not be heated from the outside.
Now the wires need to be connected to the transformer, having previously installed an almost ready-made building dryer in fan mode. We need to remember the rule: turn on the air supply first, then heat, and turn off the opposite. By the way, for additional air supply, if you do not like the old unit, you can use an aquarium compressor, but it should be quite powerful.
First, the building dryer is checked at a safe distance. If the device works correctly: the coil heats up red hot, the air enters, then you can try it on the product. It is better if it is something worthless.
Such a handheld device is limited in movement, because the wires with a transformer are quite difficult to carry, so you can make the holder on a stand.
When working with any handicrafts, you need to remember the safety rules.Back to table of contents
Safety when working with a hairdryer
Use of a construction dryer for pipe bending.
- Do not use the appliance with gas equipment. This is especially true of the kitchen, where the open air and flexible hoses are adjacent. Unhappiness can not be avoided.
- Do not use a construction dryer to work with paints without a source of ventilation. From heating, volatile components quickly pass into the air and thus will harm health.
- In any process using a construction dryer, it is important to have fire extinguishing agents freely available.
- Do not place a hot appliance on the surface without protection: you can ruin the decorative coating.
- In order to remove the paint from the windows, you need a special nozzle to protect the glass, which is not provided in a homemade device. Therefore, it is better to use the services of masters or scrape it with something. Otherwise there is a risk that the glass will simply shatter and cause injury.
- When working with such an apparatus, the presence of children and animals in the affected area should be excluded.
- Before removing the paint, it is worth knowing the origin of the coating, suddenly it contains toxic lead.
- And, of course, this hair dryer can not be used for hair.
Examples of working with a hairdryer
Let us examine a simple example of removing old paint from a wooden door.
What is needed for this?
- hair dryer;
- spatulas of different widths;
- emery skins;
- polyethylene film;
- broom and dustpan.
First of all, you need to make sure that the paint does not give in to solvents in order not to injure the wood once again with hot air. If not, then the surface must be cleaned from small burrs in defense against fire.
Next, the building dryer is brought by the nozzle to the site and turned on according to the rule: first air, then heat.
With the help of a building hair dryer, you can perform the following work: welding of plastic parts; removing old putty, wallpaper, paint; heating plastic pipes; cutting foam; welding of PVC materials and so on.
After blistering with a sharp spatula, the layer is removed. The process should not be fast, so that you can remove the entire area at a time. However, not slowly, to prevent overheating of the wood.
It is advisable to lay a piece of film on the floor so that the soft paint can fly off and stick directly to it. Then it will be much easier to collect and take out the garbage than to scrape the adhering substance back to the floor.
After cleaning the entire surface with spatulas, they should be of several different sizes, the surface should be allowed to cool.
Then you need to clean it from the remnants of paint fine emery cloth or use a grinding machine. But it is suitable only if the door is a smooth canvas without interior excesses.
After that it is recommended to wax the door. For this, you also need a roller with a hard roller.
The wax is applied to the surface and heated to a liquid state.
Then it is smeared over the entire surface with a roller with the effort to allow it to be absorbed into the wood. After this treatment, the doors can be left as they are, or subjected to decorative processing.
Now another example is the soldering of small diameter tubes. It will take:
- Metal for soldering.
- Sanding machine.
First is the preparation. To do this, the pipes are combined in places for welding and grasped by the holder. It is impossible to do this with your hands: tremor or burn of the fingers is provided.
Next, the nozzle is brought to the future seam along with the metal. Heats up both. After the two elements to be welded become elastic, they are superimposed one on the other and the nozzle is led in a circle.
This is in brief. Do not trust the welding of responsible products to the handicraft construction hair dryer. Such work is better to give at the mercy of professionals.