In any construction site, cement is always used. It can be purchased already prepared or independently mixed directly on the site. And then there is the question of how to clean the mixer from the solution. If we neglect this procedure, the tool will quickly become unusable, and it will significantly affect the quality of concrete.
The stationary concrete mixer is used to prepare concrete directly at the construction site.
The kneading process itself also requires adherence to a certain sequence, otherwise this procedure will be more difficult to implement. The concrete mixer is turned on only in the vertical position of the drum, and the components are loaded into the rotating machine. With a shovel or a bucket (in no other way), part of the water is poured in, cement is added, then crushed stone or gravel, and then sand, and the remaining water is added again. And all these components should be added only in that order. In the opposite case, sand or cement will build-up on the walls of the drum. Not only will it be difficult to mix such a solution, it will also be difficult to clear it of residues later.
Methods for cleaning concrete mixers
Concrete mixer requires care not only for the internal surfaces, but also for its "appearance". During the mixing of the solution, its drops often fly apart on the sides, therefore, the outer side also has to be cleaned. This can be done with ordinary water. But the main thing here is to control that there is no liquid on the motor and on the engine ventilation openings. For this, the most important elements are better protected by coating. During the cleaning process, all protective devices are removed.
As for the internal cleaning solution, then there are several methods:
Concrete mixer device.
- With the help of rubble. To do this, it is necessary to pour water into the mixer at about 3 liters. For this purpose, you can use both an ordinary hose and a bucket. After adding two buckets of rubble. Then the machine is turned on and left in a rotating mode for about 10 minutes. The tilt angle of the drum must be such that during the torsion the “mixture” falls on all the inner edges. If necessary, the procedure can be repeated. After that, the mixer turns off and the liquid is removed. Once everything is dry inside, the unit is ready for further use.
- Cleaning equipment can be made with an ordinary shovel. Despite the antiquity of this method, it is not too useful for concrete mixers. Often the sharp edges of the spade damage the inner surface of the drum, which further adversely affects the cement solution.
- Use chisel and hammer. Considered one of the oldest and easiest cleaning methods. These tools are quite easy to find in the household of any man. This method involves the application of physical force. But again, these tools very often deform the surface of the drum; moreover, such cement cleaning is far from ideal.
- The use of drills or grinders. If you use the second tool, you need to take care of the nozzle in the form of a brush. In this case, the likelihood of damage to the surface is reduced to a minimum, except that only the internal painting. But then there is another nuance. This method will take a long time. In addition, all cleaning should take place in the means of protection: a mask and gloves. In the opposite case, there is a danger of injury to the eyes or hands with the remnants of the frozen solution.
- Hydrochloric acid. For this cleaning, you should prepare a 5-10% solution. It is necessary to focus on the volume of the drum, since the amount of the prepared solution directly depends on this. It is poured inside, after which the machine turns on and the drum is given the opportunity to rotate several times to wash the entire perimeter.
After that, the drum is well rinsed with water and soda: thus neutralizing the effects of acid.
After that, a large amount of water finally washed out the drum. But there is also a minus: hydrochloric acid is the substance that is not so easy to get, and it is also difficult to get rid of the waste liquid. In addition, making such cleaning, it is necessary to work very carefully with acid, otherwise there is a chance to earn a burn. Therefore, in this case, as in the previous one, it is necessary to use protective equipment.
Back to table of contents
Additional cleaning options
Cleaning concrete mixers can be done with sand and water.
- Sand. With the help of water and sand, a mixture similar in consistency to liquid porridge is created. This process should be carried out directly in the drum, focusing on its size. In this case, the water will dissolve the remains of cement, and the sand granules act as an abrasive. After several cycles, the drum stops, and the dirty liquid is drained, while the sand does not need to be touched. This procedure is repeated two or three times, each time only the water changes to clean. For the last time you can use rubble, which helps get rid of the remnants of sand. This method is also convenient because during such washing sand and crushed stone become suitable for use as components of a future mortar. Of course, in order for the drum to get a proper look, it will take a lot of time to do it.
- Special cleaners. To date, a very common cleaning method is the use of special cleaning solutions. Special components which carefully separate cement from surfaces are included in them, besides the drum surface will remain untouched, as they include cement solvents.
If the work is just completed, it is not frozen cement can be washed off with strong water pressure. And already clean up the remnants with rubble, as mentioned above.Back to table of contents
How to prevent cement sticking during mortar mixing?
To facilitate the cleaning procedure, some experts recommend the use of small tricks:
Diesel fuel will not allow concrete to adhere to the walls of the concrete mixer.
- Adding diesel fuel. This component is applied to the inner surface of the drum, which ensures that the solution does not stick. But here you should immediately warn that such a “lubricant” has a destructive effect on the cement itself.
- Special tools. With a spray gun or spray gun, the mixer and the inside of the drum are covered with this substance. It can be used both in diluted (1:20) and cold water, as well as undiluted. The resulting solution is poured into the machine and turn it on for 15-20 minutes, then stop and remove the liquid. The drum is rinsed with water, after which it will be ready for use. This method is not only very effective, but also reduces human participation to a minimum.
- Very often, builders, following popular belief, lubricated with oil or other similar substance, the drive gear and a large crown. But this is wrong, you can not do that. Such a lubricant leads to the fact that small particles of the solution (sand, cement, etc.) stick to the surface, and this leads to rapid grinding of parts. This is due to the fact that the friction force in moving places increases, since the coating becomes somewhat abrasive. Thus, the gears grind faster.
I would like to note the moment that if after each use of the concrete mixer does not get rid of cement residues, the equipment will quickly cease to fulfill its purpose. In addition, if the solution will fall on moving parts, it will quickly disable the tool. And then you either have to repair it, or think about buying a new concrete mixer. Therefore, as soon as the machine has finished kneading cement, it should immediately be cleaned. And in order to choose the way, you should focus on personal preferences and on how important it is to maintain the integrity of the inner surface of the drum.