Painting the ceiling with an airbrush is a great way to get a well-painted base with minimal time and money. However, an electric or mechanical spray gun, like any other professional tool for construction, requires some skill and dexterity.
Staining the ceiling with an airbrush eliminates stains.
The advantages of painting the ceiling in an apartment or private house mechanical or electric spray gun:
- Painting the surface with this tool is used by experts first because of the greater productivity of the process. The speed of painting by the spray gun is several times greater than the speed of painting with a roller or brush.
- Almost completely eliminates the problem of uniformity of the base color. Applying an uneven layer of paint with this tool is quite difficult.
- By using the spray gun, you can avoid streaks and visible streaks. In this case, the base of the ceiling will not touch any object. The paint will be affected solely by the surface tension force.
In spite of all these advantages, if a layer of paint is applied too thick, then drops are formed, which will need to be collected with a sponge. In the course of this operation small stains may appear on a painted base, however this case is quite rare.
Elements that will be needed to paint the ceiling
Scheme of the device spray.
Tools and materials that will be needed in order to paint the ceiling structure with your own hands:
- spray gun;
- polyethylene film;
- masking tape;
- respirator or gauze dressing;
- protective glasses.
The mechanical spray gun is inconvenient to use, since the substrate to be painted is at a high altitude, and for high-quality work a continuous and strong jet will be needed. That is why it is recommended to use an electric tool. The device must be equipped with a good nozzle, torch and motor with high power.
The most reliable and functional tools are made in Germany. It is possible to get both a semi-professional airbrush, and professional. In this case, there is not much difference, any of them is suitable for painting the ceiling construction of small sizes.Back to table of contents
What kind of paint can be used to paint the ceiling with an airbrush?
The main question that will need to be solved before painting the ceiling is the choice of paint for further work. This choice will depend on the functional purpose of the room, as well as on personal preferences and financial capabilities.
The choice of paint should be made on the basis of the following:
Silicate paints have a high alkali content. therefore, when working with them, use protective equipment.
- For the hall, living room or any other premises suitable water-based or dispersion paint. These mixtures are able to perfectly hide the defects of the ceiling structure, with the result that it will look great both immediately after dyeing and a few years after the repair work. These materials are not recommended for use in the bathroom, in the kitchen and in other rooms with aggressive environment.
- Painting the ceiling structure in the bathroom or kitchen is a crucial process, since the paint in these rooms must withstand the constant effects of moisture. Excellent repel water and dirt paint based on vinyl and acrylic, or just acrylic. These mixtures are practically odorless and dry out faster than their analogues.
There are other types of paint that are suitable for painting the ceiling structure:
Table of the international classification of spray guns.
- Acrylic-based latex mixtures paint the base well, but they will need to be applied in 3-4 layers. Due to its elasticity, this mixture will be able to perfectly mask the cracks up to 1 mm in size. This paint is suitable for the bathroom or kitchen. It is worth noting that the use of this type of mixture is allowed only on some devices of the professional type, so you need to carefully study the instructions for the device.
- Silicate compounds can be used for complex mineral bases. If the ceiling construction is made of brick, concrete or mineral plaster, then it is recommended to choose silicate dyes. They are not as elastic as latex, but these mixtures are not afraid of moisture. The advantage is that these dyes are able to protect the base from the formation of fungus.
- Silicone dye combines all the advantages of other paints. It is resistant to moisture and steam, fungi and other pests. In addition, this mixture is able to cover even large cracks up to 2 mm in size. The only downside is its cost.
How is the preparation of the base for painting?
The first thing to know about precautionary measures.
Painting the ceiling with an airbrush is slightly different from using a roller.
The difference is that a lot of sprayed paint hangs in the air, which eventually settles not only on the ceiling structure, but on all available grounds, including human organs.
Before painting, remember the following important rules:
The scheme of use of the spray gun.
- Be sure to in the process of work, you must use a respirator or gauze bandage. It is also recommended to get goggles. Water-based paints, which in most cases are used in the process of painting ceilings, do not contain toxic solvents. However, this does not mean that latex or acrylic resin is harmless.
- All items of furniture that can be moved will need to be removed from the premises until all the painting work has been completed. All fixed elements can be covered with a film of polyethylene. Adjacent bases, on which paint is not allowed, must also be covered. Polyethylene can be fixed with masking tape or any other method.
You need to know the following nuances:
- Paint should be diluted with water as a percentage, which is recommended by the manufacturer. If there is no indication, then the paint of fat milk consistency is suitable for painting the ceiling.
- Diluted paint will need to be filtered through any fabric without hydrophobic impregnation. Filtration can eliminate clots, lumps of dried material and other debris.
- To paint the ceiling, you can use an ordinary spray gun. In budget models, the air will pump a vacuum cleaner with a hose that is connected to the blowing. However, it should be borne in mind that not all vacuum cleaners provide such an opportunity.
- Before painting the ceiling, the spray gun will need to be adjusted to the necessary air flow and paint. If this is not done, then it is possible to damage any base in a contrasting color. In no case should not experiment on the ceiling.
How to paint the ceiling with your own hands using the spray gun?
The sequence of actions for staining this base is as follows:
Hold the gun should be at an angle of 90 degrees.
- Before the first start you need to take the nozzle of the spray gun from the ceiling structure. At first he can throw out a lot of paint. As soon as the nozzle begins to spray the mixture evenly, it will be possible to paint the ceiling.
- The ceiling should be divided into squares, which should be approximately equal to the length of the builder’s arm. These squares will be painted one by one, first with transverse movements, and after that with longitudinal ones.
- A suitable distance that separates the spray gun for painting the ceiling structure from its base is approximately 30-50 cm. The suitable speed of the nozzle is 5 seconds / meter. These figures are a rough guide, finding the optimal parameters on your own is quite simple.
- To whitewash the ceiling structure with an airbrush, without leaving areas with a thin layer of paint, you will need to paint in 3 layers. Each previous layer should be completely dry before applying the next.
- The optimal time for applying the first and last layers is morning and evening, when the room is well lit, but the direct rays of the sun do not blind.
- It is important to monitor all possible defects in the process of painting and eliminate them.
The most common errors are:
- If the mixture is collected drops, it means that the nozzle of the spray gun was moved by the builder with insufficient speed. Excess paint can be collected with a sponge. If there is a similar problem, then you will need to apply another layer of the mixture.
- If the paint falls unevenly, then you should not try to tint the problem area. Be sure to wait until the layer is completely dry. You can grind off the sags, then paint the area again.
Tips for painting the ceiling
The quality of work depends on the uniformity of the application of the dye. To achieve maximum efficiency, it is recommended to adhere to the same layer thickness. To do this, maintain a continuous length of the jet. It is understood that the paint should be sprayed at the same distance over the entire base of the ceiling. The torch should be placed perpendicular to the base to be painted. You should not linger on one place, otherwise the thickness of the paint layer will be too large.
It is necessary to paint the surface with careful and unhurried movements in a circle, the pace should be the same. There is no need to hurry, so that you do not have to paint the base again.
Paint the ceiling spray gun is not so easy, because it is important to know all the nuances.