Everyone faced with the fact that the scissors begin to cut badly over time, the blades become dull, that is, their use becomes impossible. You can buy new ones or give old ones to sharpen, but all this requires certain costs.
Scheme of the components of the scissors.
Scissors is quite possible to sharpen at home with their own hands. To do this, you need a grinding machine or a special grinding machine. To perform such work, you will have to follow a few rules regarding the angle of grinding and direction. The quality and durability of the blades depend on the listed parameters.
What does sharpening depend on?
The angle at the top depends on the material of the scissors.
For proper sharpening of the tool, it is necessary to determine the angle at which the blades were corrected. This is exactly what allows you to do the job quickly and easily, to increase the quality of the cut, to prevent premature wear on scissors. Attention should be paid to the design, as there are closed and open models.
The sharpening angle is selected based on the hardness of the material. The greater the hardness, the greater will be the angle. For example, for cutting solid objects, the angle is at a level of 70-75 °. For ordinary household use, such hardness is not needed, 60 ° is sufficient. The angle can in no case be changed. In the factory, the only optimal value is set that fully corresponds to the purpose of the material used, other operating conditions. Changing the angle will not only make the blade sharper, but will also cause rapid wear. After that, the tool will only throw.Back to table of contents
How to sharpen scissors correctly?
Quality scissors should have a slope of the cutting edge of about 50 degrees.
To perform the correct sharpening tool, you must follow simple rules:
- The angle of the factory sharpening can not be changed, the work is carried out strictly at the angle that already exists. Determining this is easy, you only need to “try on” the blade.
- To begin work it is necessary in a direction on itself. Scissors are kept from tip to ring, in no case can you perform back and forth movements. It is precisely such a mistake that many make, but in this case the blade collapses. It can easily cut the first time, but in fact such erroneous actions greatly reduce the service life, and the quality of the cut becomes poor. The tool can no longer be used for fine work, and soon it will become completely unusable.
- After sharpening the tool, it is recommended to use sandpaper on the blades. Such processing fixes the result, it allows you to remove all small burrs that make the cut is not so high quality. To do this, apply only fine-grained sandpaper.
- You should check how well and well the work is done.
Features of sharpening and working with the tool
Before sharpening scissors, you need to disassemble them.
Sharpening is not a very difficult process that can be completely done at home. For work, you need to use a special grinding machine, but if it is not there, then a file, a grinding block with a large grain (or other materials) will do. Coarse grained stones after sharpening leave oblique small teeth on the surface, but this is not dangerous, since they allow you to perfectly cut the material. It is best to use a special electric machine for work. But using it requires experience.
Tool editing procedure:
- To sharpen the blades should only be towards yourself, while the movement will be from the ends to the rings.
- It is impossible in any case to violate the angle of the factory sharpening. Its value will be within 60-75 °.
- The process is simple, it begins with the fact that the scissors should be carefully opened, then take them in one hand and sharpened them in the other. Keep the tool only for the rings and firmly. The tips should look up, not down.
- Further it is necessary to incline scissors under a corner, convenient for work, but no more than 75 °. After that, you need a sharp bar or file to sharply hold on the surface of the blade from the end to the axis. There will be several such movements.
If a special machine is used, you must first check the angle of sharpening, then firmly take the scissors in one hand, turn on the machine. For sharpening scissors, it is enough to carefully drive the blades to the rings. You can not hurry, but also to delay. Normally cold water is used for wetting.
Back to table of contents
How to check the sharpness of scissors?
Safety rules when working with scissors.
After sharpening is done, it is necessary to check the sharpness of the tool. The same measures will be required to determine whether to sharpen the blades. Not always the lack of sharpening is the reason that the scissors cut badly. In some situations, the cause is a strong loosening of the screw that holds the blades together. They are no longer adjacent to each other, but begin to crush and "chew" the material. Measures to eliminate the defect is extremely simple. It is enough to tighten the screw, check the quality of the cut again.
Of the possible problems that may arise during cutting, we can note the presence of a gap between the sharp tips. If there is such a distance, then the material will not be able to cut qualitatively. The cutting edges will not converge at the desired point, and the material will begin to jam. If such a discrepancy is found, then a special file should be filed with a file. They are located near the rings, resemble small special soldering from plastic or metal. It is necessary to grind them carefully, constantly checking that the distance is reduced to the required. Work requires patience, but there is nothing complicated about it.
If the operations did not help, then you need to sharpen the tool. Check out her need. This requires a small piece of fabric. It should be hung up in such a way that the edge falls freely. Then a few cuts are made. If the cut is smooth, then the tool is not required to sharpen.
Various tools can be used for sharpening: a special machine is usually used, but a file and a grinding stone are suitable for temporary work.
The device of the machine for sharpening scissors.
But there is one "but." Such measures are good literally 2-3 times, after which you have to use the machine so that the grinding angle is necessary.
You can also use fine-grained sandpaper, which acts not only as a test, but also for fast, short-term sharpening. You need to take a small piece of sandpaper, and then perform several cuts. The operation is extremely simple: dull blades quickly sharpen to the necessary sharpness.
To sharpen the tool can be using the so-called gypsy needle. This is not the best way, but it will work as a temporary one. It is necessary to put the needle closer to the axis, and then pull it towards the tips, closing the blade. You need to work carefully, trying not to hurt yourself. Actions are repeated until the necessary sharpness is achieved. Some advise instead of a needle to use the bottleneck, but sharpening turns out worse, and the process itself is dangerous.
The angle of sharpening is a parameter on which a lot depends. Usually the optimum angle value is set at the factory, it cannot be broken during self-grinding. Before starting work, it is best to check exactly what the problem is, whether it is necessary to use other corrective measures. The reason that the tool does not cut may be that the screw has become loose or there is a gap between the individual parts, which prevents the blades from closing.