Each housewife in the house requires sharp knives, and for this they should be constantly sharpened. But then the question arises about the correctness of the process. Creating yourself a device for sharpening knives, you must comply with all requirements, otherwise the tool can be ruined.
Device for sharpening knives.
Knife Sharpening Techniques
For such a procedure can be used:
- special grinding bars;
- ordinary or electric sharpened.
Ways to sharpen knives.
First of all, before starting an action, it is necessary to pay attention to the angle of sharpening. Why is this so important? If this point is not taken into account, the quality of the strength of the blade can be significantly reduced. For example, if during the sharpening, the angle will be too small, then the tool, of course, will become sharper, but it will not last for a long time. The first contact is with a hard object, and the blade will crack or break. Therefore, the harder the material to be sharpened (this also applies to kitchen knives), the more the angle of grinding should be increased.
As for the use of bars, this method has been used for a very long time. In almost every home you can find such things. Usually, two grinding stones are used, one of which is used to sharpen the blade and grind the second one. In professional workshops, they are usually used by about five pieces.
Many manufacturers offer ready-made sets of three working bars, which are designed for each stage of grinding and grinding tools. They have their own grain, which allows you to modify the surface to perfection.
Despite the ease of use of electric sharpener, experts do not use it. Simply professional sharpening is done manually using additional elements. But in domestic use such a machine can be quite useful. With its help, knives will be sharpened quickly, besides, it is always at hand.
Sharpening tools in all models is similar: the blade is lowered into a special hole and dragged through the abrasive discs. Depending on the model chosen, there may be some nuances in the work, so before you start sharpening, first of all you should carefully read the instructions.
The device for sharpening knives made of wood.
If possible, you can buy ceramic knives or stamps with special coating. The cost of them, of course, is high, but they do not require sharpening. Moreover, these types of knives require proper operation. First, overload is unacceptable for them. Secondly, during the cutting it is necessary to use any boards, except glass or stone. They will damage the cutting edges.
If such a knife is blunt, you should contact the workshop. However, if you wish, you can carry out this process at home. To do this, take a circle with a diamond-coated and installed on small revolutions. This is done to ensure that the vibration from the instrument is minimal.
During the sharpening of such a knife you can not make a lot of force, the cutting parts should not be pressed strongly against each other. A very important point is the observance of the convexity in the cut. To lay the knife follows the blade from the handle to the tip. The whole process should be slow. Gradually sharpening occurs first on one side, and then on the other. Sharpening ceramic knives can be made with the help of musat, which is a special grinding stone.Back to table of contents
How to make a device for sharpening knives do it yourself
To date, there are a huge number of devices to give knives sharpness, but they are not always available. Some models of devices have too complex technology, which not everyone can understand.
Sharpening a knife with a musat.
The best solution to this problem is self-sharpening a knife. To do this, you will need the following materials and tools:
- textolite plate or plain board (40x6x2.5 cm);
- drill bit (M8, length 30 cm);
- two clamping bolts M6;
- three bolts M4;
- rigid plates;
- metal rod 62 cm long
Practical recommendations for work
Work is performed as follows:
Knife sharpening technique.
- With the help of a drill, holes are made in the slab: one for a rack, two for clamping bolts that will fix the knife itself, three for fixing a homemade clamp. After that, internal thread is cut into them.
- Next, attach the plate, which will hold the blade of the knife. They also need to do pre-holes.
- Next, the rack is inserted into the corresponding hole and secured with nuts. After that, two more nuts and washers are screwed on it, placing a sleeve between them. A guide ring is screwed into the side opening of the sleeve, which is fixed by a nut.
- A clamp is bent out of a strong thick plate. After that, three holes are drilled in it (which will serve as fastening to the base) and an additional one for M6 bolt. In the latter it is necessary to make an internal thread again.
- To create the rod will serve as a metal rod. On its edges it is necessary to cut the thread M8, then install on it a movable and fixed holder made of thick rubber, as well as a wing nut and a handle.
- The fixed holder is fixed by a sleeve with a bolt. Between the holders mounted grinding element, you can even use sandpaper. After that, the resulting device is tightened with a wing nut. Instead of a metal rod, you can use a purchased stud. Only in this case does a silicone tube or a hose of the appropriate diameter adapt to one side of the thread.
To start sharpening a knife on such a device, you need to install a grindstone on the rod, and also strengthen the base on the working surface with a clamp. Next, the knife is inserted and secured in the gloves, for which the bolts and plates are used, and the free edge of the rod is fixed in the guide ring.
Further, with the help of blanks (they are made experimentally), the required angle of inclination of the stone, which is located on top of the blank, is adjusted. The whole process is carried out by moving up and down the node with the guide ring. After the required angle is reached, the knot is fixed with the top nut.
The scheme of sharpening ceramic knife.
The sharpening of the knife is carried out with smooth movements of the bar in the direction from itself with the stone moving sideways from the heel of the blade to the blade being sharpened.
There are also recommendations regarding the angle of sharpening depending on the material of the knives:
- if the blade is soft - 15-20 °;
- if the blade is a kitchen - 20-25 °;
- if the blade is universal - 25-30 °;
- if the blade is designed to perform complex work - 30-45 °;
- if the blade in the chopping tool is 45 °.
But at once it is worth noting that this design option is not the only one. There are many ways to create your own machine for sharpening blades.Back to table of contents
To sharpen knives produced better, it is necessary that the surface was stationary. This is also important from a security point of view.
In addition, after the blade is given the necessary sharpness, it is further ground. This procedure is performed so that the knife remains sharp longer. For this, a fine-grained bar is used, which will remove all burrs from the surface. If this procedure is carried out with the help of grinders, the metal will be heated, which contributes to its rapid erasure. Therefore, you need to choose what is more important - the speed of the process or the durability of the tool.
Experts recommend before sharpening to cover the knife blade with oil. It contributes to the absence of spraying of small particles (chips). After all the work is done, the knife is washed and wiped dry. But the use of oil is permissible in all cases, except for those moments when work occurs with diamonds.
During the purchase of grinding stones should pay attention to their purpose.
There are no universal stones, therefore, using a stone that is not suitable for a tool, you can get the exact opposite result.
And for those who do not want to spend money, you can offer the cheapest way to sharpen: take a knife and a ceramic cup or plate. Then the blade is sharpened on their bottom by moving it back and forth. This method, however, not for long, but still returns the former sharpness to the knives.