The knife is such a thing that was invented by mankind during the times of antiquity. This important tool more than once saved people from hunger, rescued from trouble. Until now, people actively use them, greatly facilitating his life. It is inconceivable to imagine one’s existence without this small but very valuable device.
The block diagram of the knife.
Everyone knows that for proper and high-quality cutting, the knife should be sharpened regularly. And it should be done correctly. Effective knife sharpening fully reveals its possibilities. Incompetent ownership of this tool can destroy any coating, even made of high quality steel.
Despite the seeming simplicity of the procedure, not all people know the rules for sharpening knives. This event seems to them something inaccessible. And the wrong actions sometimes lead to damage to the blade.
How to extend the life of the blade: the main nuances
In order for the knives to perform their functions for a long time, it is necessary to adhere to the following recommendations:
The scheme of the device for sharpening knives.
- Do not use for sharpening files. In the process of machining cutting tools made of strong steel, such a tool is unlikely to help achieve the desired performance points. While mild steel literally melts before our eyes. To achieve the desired results allows the use of a grinding stone.
- Electric sharpening is not quite suitable for sharpening the cutting part. As a result of excessively intensive movement of the abrasive wheel, grinding of the steel base occurs, the tip becomes soft. Do not allow the blade to overheat, for this purpose it is periodically lowered into the water. You can get a perfectly smooth and sharp surface by contacting an experienced master for help. In order to sharpening later did not bring trouble, you should use an electric sharpener with a low speed. The circle itself before work is covered with water.
- Musat as a tool with longitudinal stripes has a rounded or lenticular configuration. It can be found in canteens, meat departments, and professional chefs. To sharpen a hunting knife with such a tool is impossible.
Tip! Regular use of musat causes an early sharpening of its edge, as a result of which its shape changes. For such purposes, diamond musat with a fine-grained base or diamond sharpener is used, allowing to carry out such activities on the hunt.
Do not sharpen knives with any device that catches your eye. This tool requires careful handling.Back to table of contents
How to sharpen quality?
The sequence of sharpening a kitchen knife.
Despite the variety of modern models on the market, knives made of durable and reliable self-sharpening steel, they occasionally need to be finished.
Rules of care for the knife, contributing to an increase in its service life:
- Store knives in a separate place from the rest of the dishes.
- Use strictly for its intended purpose.
- Do not use for logging, for such purposes it is better to use a hatchet.
- The cutting process is carried out on a soft surface. The best coating is wood or plastic.
- Do not wash the blades in the dishwasher, high carbon steel does not tolerate high temperatures. Treat such devices with cold water.
- Do not put cutters together with dirty dishes: food acid will destroy any coating.
- Well-honed knives are safer, unlike a blunt surface. The chance of a cut is much higher due to the hand sliding off.
- The darkened and stained edge is wiped with lemon juice or acid.
- You should not sharpen a knife with a serrated edge, a coating based on diamond ceramics or represented by solid metal bases.
- At the time of sharpening the blade must be cleaned and dried beforehand.
To correct the situation when a recently sharp blade suddenly becomes dull, you can use a musat or a thinned grindstone. Such actions need to be carried out repeatedly, as a result it will require more thorough processing.
Musat is a special tube made of high strength steel or ordinary metal with diamond-coated. Often there are such fixtures made of ceramics. Steel musat has a rounded base with small longitudinal lines. Straightening a knife with this attribute involves holding a sharp edge of the blade along it in the opposite direction. Move the cutter with smooth movements from its handle to the sharp part.Back to table of contents
Features sharpening knife
Sharpening the knife on the machine.
- You can cut the cutter on a bar or grindstone. The use of special devices for this is not recommended. This is due to the fact that the angular coefficient of their outflow does not always coincide with the inclination of the edge of the blade. And in the course of such actions, longitudinal gyrus appears on its surface.
- Sharpening the knife on the grinding wheel, rotating at high speeds, should be discarded. This is due to the fact that the hardening of any steel occurs at different temperatures. As a result of uneven and uncontrolled heating at the time of such a spot, the surface of the cutter can quickly deteriorate.
- Emery cloth should be applied in conditions of absolute necessity.
- Any bar has different indicators of graininess.
A rough coating is used to correct the starting point angle in the correct manner, the middle one is used most often, and the thin one is taken as a corrective component. This large-sized grinding device greatly facilitates the work on the formation of the correct angle of sharpening. It is good if the length of the bar corresponds to two lengths of the cutter and a width of 5 cm. To create a more stable surface, a special lining is installed under this grinding element.
The grinding bar is used in this way: the tip of the cutter should move along its surface in the perpendicular direction relative to the cutting edge at the points connecting them with a sharp edge forward. This part also moves the hem from the handle to the blade.
It is important to monitor the constancy of the angle of sharpening.
Ways sharpening fugovalnogo knife.
The best results are shown by a value equal to 20 ° on each side of the knife axis. These indicators can be checked with a felt-tip pen: the cutting part is painted evenly, after the cutting torch has been finished, the condition of the paint is assessed. Uneven its removal indicates the incorrectness of the selected actions. Proper sharpening is carried out measuredly, smoothly, and do not forget to handle alternately 2 sides.
The tip is placed at an angle of 20 ° relative to the surface of the bar. Following is the movement of the cutting part forward. The place of their connection is gradually shifted to the acute part. Do not allow the knife to fall off the surface of the grinding bar during operation. This may result in scratching the side of the cutter.
To maintain a stable corner of the point, the handle slightly rises above the surface of the table until the moment when the movement touches the blade having an arcuate cutout. Otherwise, the sharpening in this part will be carried out most intensively, and this will lead to its excessive sharpening.
In the process of carrying out the outflow, it is important to follow the constant movement: the cutter should smoothly move along the surface of the grinding element from the handle to the tip while maintaining its angle. The main thing that the blade moved along the bar forward.Back to table of contents
It is not necessary to speed up the process, intensively pressing on the sharpener. As a result of this, the movements become irregular, the guide angle changes and the actions will be ineffective.
Grinding is carried out until such time as the edge with a small burr appears on the edge. You need to handle the entire surface of the knife, which will lead to a coincidence with the symmetry of the surface of the cutter. As soon as the middle stone is used, you can correct the coating on a thin bar. The tip will be smoother, and the next point will need to be carried out soon.
You can not check the results on your own hands. As a result of the cut, the smallest metal chips can get into the wound and the healing process will last for a long time. For control, take one sheet of paper with one hand and set it vertically. A quick and even cut in weight will indicate readiness for its use.