Making repairs in the apartment, laying water pipes or arranging a heating system, many use polypropylene pipes. Their demand can be explained by durability, ease and simplicity during installation. They also have many advantages over metal pipes.
The device of the welding machine for polypropylene pipes.
But some believe that welding pipes made of polypropylene requires special equipment or sophisticated tools, but this is not the case. Everything is simple, but it is necessary to have an idea about the work ahead and to observe some nuances, only in this case it is possible to weld a polypropylene pipeline system of high quality.
Tools required for welding
Table of heating time of polypropylene pipes.
When constructing a polypropylene pipe system, the following tools will be needed:
- pipe welder or soldering iron;
- nozzles for welding the desired diameter;
- special scissors;
- building roulette;
- special clips that are used for fastening pipes;
- work gloves.
When laying polypropylene pipes using soldering can not do without a special device. For these purposes, a special welding machine was developed. The equipment is universal, which allows both professional and self-taught people to work with it.
For welding pipes made of polypropylene in one system, there are several types of welding:
Connection scheme of polypropylene pipes.
In the first two options, welding takes place using couplings and fittings. When the butt welding method does not require the use of connecting elements, as the pipes are welded end side. Welding equipment is also divided into two categories:
- Handheld machine. Such equipment is most often used for welding of polypropylene pipes for private work. Such a device is capable of connecting pipes with a cross section of up to 50 mm, but there are more powerful models that allow you to connect fittings and elements of pipes up to 125 mm.
- Mechanical welding devices. Such devices are considered professional and are used when welding pipes of larger cross section. Most often they are used for laying pipelines on highways, since it is there that great efforts are required when connecting pipes and fittings.
Usually with a small amount of work for the connection using an iron for welding. According to its technological characteristics, it resembles a household iron for ironing. The structural elements of the welding iron include a heating plate, a handle and a regulator. Fix and fix the welded material through two holes, which is equipped with a heating plate.Back to table of contents
Modern technology and features
Scheme of installation of polypropylene pipes.
As you know, the connection has three ways. From this it follows that the connection of pipes from propylene can be made both with the use of welded reinforcement and without its use. The butt joint received its name - diffusion form. This method involves changing the structure in the heating process, which allows to obtain high-quality compound. Butt-welding is the simplest and at the same time reliable connection of polypropylene elements. Most often, this compound is used for welding pipes with a cross section greater than 50 mm.
When using diffusion welding, an important point is the thorough preparation of joints.
On a large scale, laying pipelines over long distances uses stationary welders for propylene structures. The advantage of such devices is the ability to produce a coupler and hold sections of pipelines during welding. For high-quality welding, it is important to observe the technological sequence of the work carried out.Back to table of contents
Pipe welding sequence
Welding of polypropylene pipes of large nominal diameters on special machines.
- Preparation of parts. For the convenience of work, it is recommended to prepare everything you need in advance. First you need to make all the required measurements, after which the pipes are cut into pieces of the desired length. Pieces and fittings are laid out in the scheme in such a sequence in which they will be welded. This will prevent incorrect connection of the pipeline sections. Since the threaded connection can be dismantled and redone, welded alterations are not subject to, they will have to be disposed of.
- Warming up soldering iron. The soldering iron is equipped with a temperature controller, which is set to the limit specified in the instructions. When he gets the required temperature, the light on the thermostat should go out.
- Heating parts. Before connecting the elements, they must be heated. The junction is heated and only then dock with each other. The result is their fusion and provides a reliable and tight connection. This allows you to insert parts that need to be connected to special soldering iron connectors. How this happens can be studied in the instructions attached to the welding machine, which must be reviewed before starting work.
- The connection of elements. Docking preheated elements occurs quickly and smoothly. Making work, you need to be extremely careful and cautious, because you can not allow turns and distortions. When connecting two pieces of pipe, the cutting angle must be maintained, only because of this you can get a strong and hermetically sealed seam. The connection must be fixed for a while so that the pipes cool down. After that, an almost monolithic connection is obtained with a barely noticeable joint that needs to be cleaned.
Recommendations when working
Welding multi-layer polypropylene pipes.
- When constructing a pipeline system, it is important to ensure that the welded material is the same. It is recommended to purchase pipes from the same batch, only in this case it is possible to achieve the same melting temperature in the elements being joined. Observing these nuances, you can get a quality seam.
- The end part of the pipes must be perpendicular, since otherwise the resulting voltage at the joint may break the connection.
- The edge of the pipe at the joints must be carefully cleaned from burrs and chips.
- Immediately before joining the joints should be degreased with alcohol. It is impossible to use gasoline or acetone containing solutions for these purposes, because of their composition they are capable of destroying the structure of polypropylene.
- When welding reinforced pipes at joints, you must remove the reinforcing layer. This procedure is carried out with a special stripping device.
- An already welded system should be filled with water only after an hour, as the elements will be welded.
It is important to pay attention to the fact that before welding it is imperative to familiarize yourself with the instructions of the welding machine model used, since it must contain tables of the calculations made for heating the elements, taking into account the cross section and temperature regimes.
For example, if you overheat the welded elements, then when joining the pipe cavity may be sealed. Conversely, with underheating, the seam will be leaky.
When conducting welding with your own hands, especially pipes of small cross-section, it is necessary to control the internal surface of the joints with respect to patency.
In the case when the welding of polypropylene pipes is performed for the first time and there is no experience, it is recommended to purchase the material with a margin.
To get high-quality results, it is better to practice a little, since after such a training you will be confident in your own abilities.
So, having studied some recommendations and nuances, you can make the installation of the pipeline system with your own hands. The work that previously was only trusted by the masters, today you can do it yourself and enjoy it.