Earlier, when there was no special opportunity to turn to the soldering masters and fix the necessary thing, many people had a tool like a soldering iron at home. But in our time with breakdowns do not bother much, because there are a large number of services that readily provide their services.
The device for the soldering of polypropylene.
But if there is a desire to learn how to solder, you begin to think about how to choose a soldering iron correctly for household needs. To solve this problem, you need to decide on several points.
Soldering iron varieties
The main purpose of the soldering iron is the connection between the various elements. This tool is used for industrial purposes, and at home.
To date, there are several types, having understood which, it will be easier to make your choice.
Scheme of a pulse soldering iron.
- ESN. This abbreviation stands for electric soldering iron with a heater. In order for this model to work, it needs electricity. You can also use a transformer or battery for it. Only after connecting the working sting will begin to heat up, however, in order for it to reach the desired temperature, a sufficient amount of time must pass. In addition, the very ration in the house with the help of such a tool will also last for a long time.
- Pulse soldering iron. Unlike its first fellow, this view provides faster work. On the tool body there is a button, pressing which, the current instantly warms up the sting. After the end of soldering, the working element cools down rather quickly. This feature is very convenient in the field of radio electronics. Moreover, such a tool is safer than EPSN. Although, for the sake of justice, it is worth noting the fact that pulse models are much more expensive than electric ones. The choice of a soldering iron is also carried out taking into account that the EPSN requires, in addition to itself, soldering equipment: coasters, suction, etc. Of course, the true purpose of many supplements can only be correctly assessed by a specialist.
- Gas soldering iron. This model is used in the absence of electricity. In the case of such a unit is mounted not only a sting, but also a gas cylinder. The process of “ignition” of the soldering iron itself is carried out in the following way: by pressing a button, the gas from the cylinder is fed to the “piezo”, which gives a spark, which results in the ignition of the gas. But from a security point of view, this option is not always safe.
- Soldering station. Such models are designed for frequent use, and they provide high precision soldering elements. Such a station is still the same electric soldering iron, but with the ability to adjust the temperature of the heating tip. Such units have a system of protection against excessive loads and static. The convenience of such equipment is that there is no need to constantly monitor the temperature. It is initially set once, and the soldering iron keeps it independently on the desired indicator. If you choose a soldering iron for the house of this configuration, then you should additionally provide it with a stand, and a bath for a cleaning sponge, and a heat gun. For this type of soldering device will have to significantly invest finances, since their cost is high. Although if welding is done at home often, it will quickly pay off.
The main parameters of the product
Soldering iron design.
The main criteria that are worth paying attention to when choosing a soldering iron is the power and type of the tip. If you have to work with large parts, metal sheets or wires of large diameter, then for such purposes suitable units with a capacity of 80 to 200 watts. But if the welding will be carried out by electronic equipment, then enough power and 40-80 watts. If you use low-power models, then there is a risk that the place of soldering will overheat, and this in turn leads to breakdown of electrical equipment.
Also, depending on the application of the soldering iron, you should choose and sting under it. It may be tapered, spatulate, in the form of a needle or a screwdriver. If there is a need to apply a thin sting, then its diameter should not exceed 0.5 cm.
The quality of the work will directly depend on how responsibly it is to choose such a tool. Besides, can a “weak” soldering iron withstand large volumes of loads? Of course not. Therefore, this issue should be approached carefully.
To date, rod soldering irons with ceramic or spiral heaters draw their attention to themselves. The first models have a heating rate much higher than the second. But at the same time they are quite fragile, with any influence of physical force (shock, knock, etc.) they easily fail.
Depending on the power of the soldering iron, it is used for soldering in certain areas:
The device is an electric soldering iron.
- 3-10 watts. Such power is suitable for work with small chips.
- 20-40 watts. Such models are used at home for amateur purposes, for example, for radio.
- 60-100 watts. Applicable for repair in automotive services or when working with thick wires.
- 100-250 watts. Such soldering irons work with pans or large metal.
But here it is worth mentioning at once that the high power of the tool will directly affect its dimensions. Experts recommend having two soldering iron of different purpose at home. Indeed, in the household, it may be necessary to solder both small boards and larger parts.
If you still have some skills in soldering, but are available, you can immediately choose a soldering station. Such a purchase has its advantages:
- It is possible to regulate the temperature, which means that the risk of spoiling the parts is minimal.
- The temperature of the tip is always kept at the same level, which leads to a reduction in the cost of consumables, since the heating element does not burn out.
- The set of such a soldering iron includes a stand and a bathroom for cleaning sponges, which exist separately for sale, but it is extremely difficult to find them.
But such a variety is rational only if the operator is not the first time confronted with soldering, but already has a good hand on an ordinary soldering iron.
If, however, it is necessary to work at home for the first time, then it is better to stop your choice on soldering irons with a power of 25-40 W, with the function of temperature control.
It is not recommended to buy the first equipment immediately with all sorts of bells and whistles.Back to table of contents
What to look for?
Adaptation to the soldering iron for soldering small parts.
- Voltage. The standard parameter is a voltage of 220 V, 50 Hz. But experts pay attention to the fact that for safe operation it is better to use models with a voltage of not more than 36 V. For field conditions (a car or other place without electricity), 12- to 18- and 24-volt models are intended. An alternative option can be used in the form of a gas soldering iron.
- Sting shape. As noted above, there are several types: needle, scapula, cone, round, etc. When choosing such an element, it is necessary to focus on personal preferences, especially if you are already familiar with the soldering process. It is best to have several different tips at hand, because it is impossible to foresee what it is necessary to solder in the future.
- Fortitude sting. Judging objectively, the heating element is the part of the soldering iron that, according to statistics, often requires replacement. Therefore, it is best to immediately acquire heat-resistant brands that easily withstand high temperatures.
- Thermal insulation. Working as a soldering iron, the tool is held by the handle. Therefore, it is very important that the handle does not melt during operation and does not even heat up, because then it will be extremely difficult to hold on to it.
- Sting length adjustment. Most home models have a special screw located on the body of the soldering iron. It is he who helps to carry out the process of leveling the sting. When the heating element is cleaned, its length is shortened somewhat, and this, in turn, affects the usability.
- Stand. While the soldering iron is warming up, the tip temperature can reach 300 degrees, respectively. You will not put such a tool on the table. Therefore, a special stand is needed in which you can insert the unit. It can usually be fixed on any work surface.
A few words in conclusion
Equipping the workplace, you should think about where the tools will be stored. To do this, you can hang shelves on the walls.
Soldering provides for constant contact with parts of various sizes, but then they must be stored somewhere. Therefore, it is possible to create a box-type box from ceramic square pots (such as are used for small plants). Only beforehand should the holes in the bottom be repaired so that the parts are not lost.
It should not be forgotten that during soldering, waste is always generated. Therefore, it is immediately necessary to take care of the trash can. After all, if unnecessary remnants are scattered on the floor, then you can slip on them.