The ax is an indispensable tool in the household. Especially for those people who live in a private house or spend a lot of time in the country. You can make an ax yourself. If you follow all the rules of this work, then the tool will be reliable and will last a long time. Before you make an ax, you need to examine the recommendations of professionals.
General view and name of the parts of the ax.
To make an ax handle for an ax can be of almost any shape. It depends on what the tool will be used for. The manufacturing process involves several steps:
- selection of optimal options for blanks;
- making an ax handle;
- nozzle and wedging;
How to choose the piercing part?
The scheme of the wooden wedge for the ax.
When choosing the piercing part, first of all it is necessary to pay attention to the quality of the metal used to make it. It is recommended to choose blanks with the sign of GOST. With a large selection of different models, you can choose an ax empirically. If you click the blade of one ax on the blade of another, the metal of higher quality will leave on a less reliable version of the notch.
You can check the instrument by tapping it in a hover. In this case, the quality of the metal is determined by the nature of the sounds.
It is recommended to pay attention to such factors:
- there should be no defects on the blade surface;
- the eye must be tapered;
- blade and eye should be coaxial;
- butt end should be perpendicular to the blade;
- butt should not be too fat.
Features of the manufacture of ax
Types of axes.
The length of the ax handle should be chosen for reasons of ease of further exploitation. This takes into account the growth and strength of the master. For a relatively lightweight tool, you need to make an ax for an ax 40–60 cm long, heavier models can be with an ax 55–65 cm.
The quality of wood plays an important role in the selection of the workpiece. Ideal - the basal part of the birch or growths on its trunk. It is permissible to use oak, maple, ash, acacia and other deciduous tree species.
In the ax handle there should be a thickening at the end, which will prevent the tool from slipping out of the hands. On the workpiece, it is necessary to make a marking along the contour of the future handle and to grind the excess wood using an electric jigsaw. After primary processing, try on the blade and the handle to each other using a mallet. If the parts are adjacent to each other tightly, then you can proceed to the finishing treatment of the wood surface.
Tripping is performed first. For this you need a piece of glass. Next you need to sand the surface with sandpaper.
If the ax handle is easily inserted into the eye of the blade, then it will have to be completely redone using another blank. Just insert a wedge to seal the connection will not work.Back to table of contents
Nozzle blade on the ax
Sharpening an ax at home.
This stage is very important. The safety of a homemade tool depends on it. This work is performed in stages:
- The top edge of the ax is adjusted to fit the eye. All unnecessary argue with a knife.
- On the handle should make a mark to which the blade will sit down. For this, the ax handle is laid on the table horizontally, and the blade is put on it. In the middle of the distance from the edge of the ax to the mark you need to put another one.
- Clamp the handle in a vise in an upright position. In this case, the wide part should be directed upwards. In the narrow you need to make a cut with a hacksaw to the top mark. A wedge will be installed into it.
- You need to make a wedge of wood of the same length as the depth of the cut, and the same width as the eye. Its thickness can vary in the range of 0.5-1 cm.
- Place the blade on the table upside down. Place an ax handle in the eye and perform several tapping. When the ax handle begins to enter it, you need to turn and tap and tap the lower end of the handle. This should be done until the blade is fully seated on the handle.
- Further the prop is inserted into a prop. It must be driven with a mallet almost to the end or at least to the middle. The part that remains hanging around, you need to cut down with a hacksaw.
- Further the tool is coated with oil. You can use flaxseed, sunflower or motor. The excess should drain and the surface should dry out a little. After that rub the ax.
The tool is assembled. Next, you need to properly sharpen the blade so that the operation of the ax was easy and pleasant.Back to table of contents
How to choose the angle of sharpening the blade?
According to the standards, the ax blade should be sharpened by 20-30 degrees. The optimum sharpening angle depends on the type of work to be performed. Increasing the angle will cause the ax to bind in the wood. It is permissible to grind under 35 degrees for an ax intended for carpentry.
Sharpening is performed in 2 stages. For the primary, a rotating circle is used, which eliminates all irregularities, shcherbinki, etc. It is necessary to obtain a smooth cutting edge of the blade. Next, a final sharpening and grinding the bar to eliminate burrs. A well-sharpened blade should shine.
Thus, even a novice master can make an ax on his own.
If you follow all the recommendations and keep the ax carefully, then it will last a very long time.