An airbrush is a pneumatic tool designed to spray paint evenly. They are of different types and configurations. On sale you can find professional expensive models of airbrushes from well-known manufacturers, as well as cheaper models for performing simple works. But you can make a simple airbrush with your own hands, which will significantly save money and get quite a good tool for simple work.
Scheme of the device professional airbrush.
Craftsmen offer different ways to assemble airbrushes. Below are 2 ways to make this tool with your own hands.
Making an airbrush - method 1
You can make a simple airbrush using an ordinary ballpoint pen.
Such a spray gun allows you to apply a sufficiently high-quality coating, and sometimes you just cannot do without such a tool.
To make it you will need:
- ballpoint pen with a blank rod;
- a piece of plastic;
- any solvent.
Airbrush assembly steps:
Figure 1. Diagram of an airbrush from a helium pen.
For airbrush assembly, it is better to pick up a plastic handle that will not dissolve with a solvent. Otherwise, the housing will need to be changed. Remove the rod from the handle. Pull the metal tip out of the rod. If the rod is filled with ink, remove them by blowing into it, and then rinse with a solvent. Remove the ball from the metal tip with a needle. Wash the tip with solvent and insert it into the rod.
- Cut 2 plastic strips with a length of 20 mm and a width of 15 mm. Glue them together at a 90 ° angle and drill a hole for the rod in one of them and a hole for the body of the handle in the other. Holes must be drilled along the axis of symmetry.
- Insert the shaft and body of the handle into the corresponding holes. Moving these strips, make the end of the rod slightly overlap the hole in the handle. In fig. 1 you can see how it should look.
In order to start coloring, you need to lower the end of the rod into the liquid paint and blow into the opposite end of the handle.
This is the easiest way to paint. But you can improve the airbrush from the handle by connecting the compressor to it with the receiver. This equipment can also be made by hand, for example, using a compressor from an old refrigerator. If the compressor will be used for painting, then you can make a primitive paint supply valve in a homemade airbrush. In the handle you need to drill a hole whose diameter is 3 mm. By closing and opening the hole with your finger, you will adjust the air supply. When closing the hole, air will flow through the nozzle and the paint will be sprayed. When you open the hole, the air will go out through it, and no ink will spray.Back to table of contents
Making an airbrush - method 2
Figure 2. Scheme of airbrush assembly from scrap materials: 1 - short copper rod. 2 - copper rod is long. 3 - seamless pneumatic tube. 4 - hose fitting. 5 - female threaded nipple. 6 - union with an external thread. 7 - tee. 8 - copper tube is short. 9 - plastic jar or container. 10 - a cover for a jar. 11 - copper tube. 12 - pneumatic tube. 13, 15 - 90 ° angle valve. 14 - tee.
There is another way how to make an airbrush from scrap materials. Such a tool will cost you less than the firm brand at least 65%.
To make it you will need:
- a copper core with an outer diameter of 3/32 inches and a length of 0.5 inches;
- a copper core with an inner diameter of 3.32 inches, a length of 1 inch;
- seamless pneumatic tube, whose length is equal to 3/4 inch;
- hose fitting, the thread of which is equal to 1.8 inches;
- female thread;
- fitting with male thread;
- a copper tube with an inside diameter of 3/32 inches, a length of 0.5 inches;
- plastic jar or container;
- lid for jars;
- a copper tube whose inner diameter is 1/8 inch and a length equal to 3 inches;
- a pneumatic tube having an inner diameter of 1/8 inch and a length of 3.5 inches;
- angle valve 90 °;
1 inch = 2.54 cm. The ordinal numbers of the parts coincide with the numbers of the parts in fig. 2, therefore, when assembling the instrument, strictly follow the diagram.
Figure 3. Compressor assembly scheme for an airbrush.
To modify this airbrush, you need to purchase 2 more pneumatic tubes 4 and 4.5 inches long. Heat the middle of part 3 evenly, pull it out and cut it. Insert these two pneumatic tubes into it.
- Similarly, heat the part at number 12 and bend it at an angle of 135 °.
- Wrap all joints with Teflon tape before starting the airbrush assembly.
- Connect parts # 8 and # 9 at the end of the airbrush assembly. In Part No. 9, make a hole that fits perfectly to Part No. 8 and No. 12.
Build a compressor for the airbrush do-it-yourself
Figure 4. The compressor is designed to force air and allows you to evenly spray paint through the spray gun.
For the airbrush, assembled by the second method, you will definitely need a compressor, which can also be made independently. To do this, you can use a working compressor from the old refrigerator. The compressor from an imported refrigerator is best suited for this, since such compressors are more economical than domestic ones and make less noise.
The instructions below will allow to assemble the compressor with a receiver and a pressure switch. In this case, you do not have to resort to turning and welding, and you can minimize your financial costs.
What you need to build a compressor with a receiver:
- compressor from the refrigerator;
- capacity for a receiver (for example, a 24 l water pump hydroaccumulator);
- emergency valve with pressure gauge;
- check valve installed at the inlet of the receiver;
- pressure switch RDM-5 with a pressure limit of 2.8 bar;
- various adapters and fittings for connecting parts;
- hose clamps;
- silicone sealant;
- 2 fuel filters;
- moisture oil separator with output pressure reducer;
- the bolts.
Recommendations for assembling a compressor with a receiver:
- Carefully remove the compressor from the refrigerator. Do not bite or cut the tubes to prevent metal shavings from entering the compressor. Remove the relay.
- In fig. 3 shows a diagram of the compressor assembly with a receiver. Focusing on it, connect the details.
- Before assembly, replace the oil in the compressor. To do this, you need to unsolder the tube, pour out the used oil and pour in a new one. After this, the tube must be plugged with a sealant.
- To plywood bolts fasten the compressor, the capacity for the receiver and the starting relay.
- According to the scheme in fig. 4 Connect all components, hoses, filters, water / oil separator. One filter must be installed on the inlet pipe, the other - between the compressor and the receiver. At the inlet, install a check valve and, next to it, a switch-on relay.
- Treat all joints with silicone sealant.
The finished design will look like the one shown in fig. four.