Milling cutter is an electric tool that can perform the operations of drilling holes, cutting a variety of grooves, machining ends, etc. On such a machine, you can handle both metal parts and wooden blanks. He will cope with plastic products. For each type of material used special cutters. The home craftsman definitely needs to know how to choose a manual router, so that it becomes a reliable assistant. When making this choice, it is necessary to consider some subtleties.
For domestic purposes, no need to buy a professional device.
How to choose a router and what you need to pay attention to?
When choosing a tool, pay close attention to the following characteristics:
The device of the machine for milling.
- Power. This parameter should correspond to the intended goals for working with metal or wood. Therefore, in order to choose the right hand router, it is necessary that the power of the tool be combined with its weight. If it is very heavy, it will cause a lot of inconvenience and difficulties in work, especially with constant work on the table. It should be well understood that the higher the power of the device, the stronger the tools will be needed.
- Speed. Due to the change of speeds you can cut a variety of materials. The machine can easily cope with wood, plastic and a variety of alloys. It will take only the correct choice of the number of revolutions. Of course, it is not very convenient to often change the speed when working with different materials, so if a heavy tool is used, then it is more correct to purchase a single-speed manual router.
- Power router. How to choose a router, so that there are no problems with power? This question is always worried about many masters. When choosing a manual router, you need to familiarize yourself with the system of its inclusion. If it is equipped with a switch, then how much it is necessary can be understood only after the start of work. The machine must have the ability to block accidental start. When it is impossible to lock the button in the “On” position on the switch, this will create a serious inconvenience. For example, during wood operations, this switch will have to be constantly held in hand. When there is a blocking mechanism, we can talk about additional protection against possible injury.
- Collet. Conical collets are considered to be the most adapted to such work. They are made of high quenching steel. Their dimensions correspond exactly to the motor shaft with a tapered end. Such collets are valued the most. Cheap collets are usually made from cone-shaped metal blanks. Sometimes their size does not allow to capture the cutter, in addition, such a tool quickly wears out. During operation, there is a vibration of the tool, which is associated with increased complexity.
Table of the diameter of the cutter and the speed of rotation of the material being processed.
- Dust removal. Today, almost every model has a device that resembles a gateway. Most often, it comes as standard, but sometimes it is sold as an additional device. Dust removal is best done when such a device is built right into a hand mill. On the market are offered models in which the fastening of a special pipe in order to remove dust sometimes interferes with a full view. When using a special table for a manual mill, the dust is removed in another way. The device is mounted on the table, so it does not create serious interference with full visibility during the execution of the technological operation.
Milling table should be convenient for work. The machine must have a sole, reliable mounting points, a light switch, height adjustment system. Without it, it is very difficult to properly adjust the depth of cut.Back to table of contents
Work with special cutters
To carry out milling, in most cases 2 types of cutters are used:
- the mills having a basic ring.
The best cutters are cone-shaped, made of hardened steel.
In the role of the ring is usually a small bearing, which is located above the cutting plane of the tool or below it.
Each mill has its own profile. The diameter of the tool reaches a maximum of 40 mm, while the height does not exceed 30 mm. The size of the shank cutter is 8 mm. The diameter of the ring does not exceed 12 mm.
Milling operation can be performed in two ways. It all depends on the location of the spindle relative to the fixed part. Perhaps he is at the top, perhaps at the bottom.
When the spindle is located at the top, the mill movement is carried out directly along the plane of the workpiece. The support is the plane of the fixed part. In the lower position of the spindle, the hand mill turns over, it is attached to the special table brackets. The detail in this case moves along the guide.
When milling work is performed directly on the surface of the part, a special guide bar is used. The workpiece is installed directly on the workbench, and the ruler is mounted directly on the part. To carry out the operation of milling strictly on the line, in most cases, use end mills. For deep milling, several passes are made, with a gradual deepening of the cutter in the workpiece material. To perform such work, a step limiter is used. It gives the opportunity to properly distribute the depth of each pass.
The edge milling cutter is necessary for processing edges of products of any configuration.
The router itself must move along the surface of the part in the direction opposite to the mill speed. Otherwise, the worker will not be able to hold the router in his hands.
To perform milling of small blanks and not get a marriage, it is better to use a special table. In this case, the router is under the table, its spindle looks up. The table has a fairly simple design, consisting of a single cover and a single support.Back to table of contents
Setting the router: features
Similarly to any machine, before starting work, the manual mill must be well tuned in order to obtain high quality blanks. To achieve cleanliness and accuracy, you need to make a number of adjustments.
Such settings are much easier to perform on an expensive and better mill. It is not always possible to carry out fine tuning in cheap milling machines, as the machine itself is not very carefully made. Quite often, the settings begin to stray:
The more precise the adjustment of the pin mechanism, the better the device.
- Adjustment tool overhang. Each hand mill is necessarily equipped with an adjustment of the cutter's departure size; it has a departure control system. In most cases, this mechanism is a metal rod on which the indicator flag is attached. So that it does not move, there is a clamping screw. Particularly accurate hand mills are equipped with a special precision stop, equipped with a magnifying glass, so that it is easy to read the micrometer screw data. Such an emphasis helps to pre-configure the departure cutters. With it, you can mill the grooves, getting their depth exactly the same.
- Setting the stop. At the beginning of the mill must be de-energized. The desired milling cutter is inserted into the collet and tightened with a nut. Milling cutter installed on the plane, after which it is pressed on top. The upper part moves downward until the cutter begins to touch the surface. In this position, using the lock, secure the upper part. The clamping screw is slightly loosened, the rod is lowered until it touches the thrust pad. Looking at the box, you need to raise the rod by an amount corresponding to the required size of the cutter dive. This position is blocked by the clamping bolt. The fastening of the router is unscrewed, and it is turned over to the initial position. In this case, the motor is at the top.
Extremely precise instrument overhang
There is a manual milling cutter equipped with a special mechanism for particularly precise adjustment of the cutter's overhang size.
It is attached to the metal rod of the instrument's throttling adjustment system, or it completely replaces it. When such a device is used, the tool does not move down, the size of the milling allows you to precisely adjust the adjusting screw. This exact adjustment is most needed mills, which are mounted in the table. Usually their basket has no opportunity to fall.
To perform fine adjustment, you need to put the router on the side surface, unscrew the depth lock. By turning the fine adjustment screw in different directions, you can achieve the desired position of the cutter according to the position of the sole. Using the lock, fix the steady position of the basket. As a result, the resulting adjustment will not be further strayed during the operation.
Milling cutter is a tool that allows you to perform many different operations, but for this you need to have different tools and accessories. Therefore, when buying, you need to pay attention to the accessories that are attached to it.